Pt. 6

I'm still at unease-- everything that just happened is still jumbled in my brain. I really hope everyone is okay, and that no one got seriously injured. Gold and I are still riding to Forgotten Fields, and I see storm clouds ahead.

"Gold, do you see that storm moving in?" I point, and see her nod slightly in response.

"I hope it doesn't become a problem..." She speaks softly. Pulling slightly on Jade's reigns, and I slow her to a walk. I take out my phone.

"Oh, of course, there isn't any service."
Gold rides ahead of me and surveys the area.

"You know, the Unfortunate Dews' farm always creeps me out." Gold says and shivers as if on command.

"I know. I've heard rumors that their cattle died off, but I think that's just a cover for their deaths..." We keep walking along and I scan the area. No one is in sight. I nudge Jade into a canter and ride ahead. There are sheep grazing in a small paddock off to my left. A tall spruce tree stands in the middle. Everything seems calm, so I enter.

I dismount Jade and take her reins, leading her further into the enclosure. I hear Gold gasping behind me, and I look back to see her staring at a bush. She lifts a shaky hand and points at it.

"D-did it m-move?" I slowly shake my head. Then the bush rustles. I step back, but then a small bunny pops out! Gold jumps back-- then sees the tiny creature hopping over to her. She gets off and talks with the bunny. "You're so cute!" and "Aww, don't eat my fingers. Ow!" Unbelievable, but still adorable.

Jade seems to be attracted to the lonely tree. She pulls me along and sniffs it. She seems startled and nudges me.

"What is it, girl?" I get closer to the tree. There's something dark on it...

Putting my hand up to the bark, it's obvious that there is something wet and fresh. "B-blood... blood!" I whip my head around to get Gold, but she's already heard and looks as white as snow.

"What!? Where!?" I wave her over and show her my hand. We both inspect the tree and look for any trails of blood. "Marg... there's some out in the field..." I nod my head and look over. Indeed there is, and enough to be alarming. A sense of urgency fills me.

"C'mere Jade. They have to be out there, and not in good shape." I pet her before mounting.

Gold and I follow the faint red substance smudged in the grass. I point out hoofprints in the dirt, and they are small enough to be Pearl's. I look around on the looming rocks and almost see red handprints, but I can't tell if it's my imagination. I push the thoughts out of my head, my heart beating. Small drops of cold water hit my skin. The storm overhead is heading our way, and it doesn't look nice. The rain falls faster, the wind picks up, and thunder booms ahead. We speed up.

"The blood may wash away! Hurry!" I yell. Gold gestures to the right of the field and I nod. She splits off from me. I head to the left.

Jade's fur gets slick and so does the ground. When her hooves hit the ground, water splashes up. Puddles start to form and the rain washes the blood away.

"PAIGE! PEARL!?" I'm frantic now. No one is in sight, nothing is moving. "Jade, help me, please!" She looks around and sniffs the air. I hear her disappointed whinny. "It's... it's okay..." I feel the tears surface in my eyes, until... Pearl is galloping towards us and rears in panic.

I gasp, seeing her side damp, matted with a deep shade of red. She whinnies and makes eye contact with me and turns around to run. I follow suit.

Within a few minutes, she takes us to a small grove and I see someone lying on the ground. Pearl nudges them, yet they don't respond. It's like a crime scene. Jumping off of Jade, I rush over and am stunned. I fall to my knees.

Blood. All I see. Everywhere.

The tears start rolling.