Chapter 24: The Picnic

Newt's P.O.V 

I feel Tina groan into my shoulder and grumply say, "I can't believe it's still raining. We have been cooped up inside all week." I give her a little squeeze trying not to laugh at her squished up grumpy face. I do really understand I have been feeling restless all week but working with the animals makes it a lot easier to handle. The idea hits me out of nowhere, the case, we can have lunch in the case, the enclosures are nice and sunny in there. Untangling my legs from Tina's, I ask, "Are you hungry?" Tina nods but says, "but I'm not sure if I'm just bored." I get off the couch and say, "maybe but we can have a picnic in the case where it's nice and sunny." I watch in wonderment as her whole face lights up at the idea, "Really Newt? That's a great idea!"  I nod, grab her hand, and lead her to my bedroom, where I keep the case. We can't walk down the stairs holding hands but as soon as we reach my shack we fit our hand together again. Another idea burrows itself in my mind, I should ask her today and now it will be perfect. I brush my fingers over the ring box in my pocket and my insides turn into one big twisting Kelpie. Tina leans over and says, "We will have to find a perfect spot." We wonder for a few more minutes before Tina plops down and lays on her back saying, "This is where will have our picnic." It is in the middle of Frank's old enclosure on the plateau rock. The whole place is drenched in sun and I can see why she choose it.  I whisper, "It's perfect for a rainy day picnic." I then turn around to face the shack and cast the summoning spell. A wicker basket full of food with a red checked cloth floats towards us.  I grab the basket and nudge Tina with my foot, "Get up you lazy mooncalf." She chuckles and slowing stands up to let me place the cloth down on the plateau. As soon as the cloth is put down she lays down again and appears to be sunbathing. She acts just like a human thunderbird. I sit down cross legged and start spreading out all the food. Tina lifts her face and says, "That's quite a spread you got there." I reply, "Of course, watching it rain all day really works up an appetite." I love watching Tina as she laughs, it makes it look like all of her worries just wash away, and I am glad I can keep her laughing often.  Tina sits up and moves so that her knee is touching mine. She grabs a niffler bread and starts munching on it. We sit there for a while in silence, just enjoying each other's company and the sun and I  start to work up my courage, now is as any good time as ever. So I begin with a stutter that hasn't come out in Tina's presence in a while, "Tin-a , do y-ou rem-member how we met?" I start gaining confidence as I see her start to pay rapt attention, her eyes locked on mine.  She says with a soft smile, "How could I forget? I was going to arrest you, and for good reason." I start again and say, "Whatever the reason right or wrong(this gets an eye-roll from Tina), ever since that moment you have arrested my heart. And I know I am extremely loyal and this is more then improper but I don't want to have to have my niffler ever find another girl for me again." Understanding flickers in Tina's eyes and I stand up on one knee and pull out my ring box and ask her the question that has been burning inside me for weeks, "Porpentina Goldstein, will you marry me, and make me the happiest man or creature on earth?" Tina bursts into tears and exclaims, "Oh Newt I have been wanting to hear those words for weeks! Yes, yes of course yes!"  Did she really say yes! Merlin's beard, Tina's going to be my wife- my thoughts are cut off as Tina pulls me into the sloppiest kiss I have ever had. Once we break apart gasping for air, I grab the ring and slip it onto her finger. Her whole hand is trembling but she says in a study voice, "Newt this ring is perfect! I love it!" She kisses me again and says quietly to herself, "Porpentina Scamander, it could grow on me." I laugh quietly and help Tina to her feet, smooth her collar, and brush her hair out of her eyes. I grab her hand and say, "I don't want to head back quite yet, walk with me?" Tina nods and grips my hand tighter. As we start making our way down the plateau she asks, "Now, just how long have you had this ring?" 

OMG GUYS, I DID IT! I WROTE THEIR ENGAGEMENT! I hope after this chapter my standards are not to high ;)! see you guys next chapter!