Chapter 21

The energy of the east coast is much different than that of the rest of the country. The air is stickier. The people are a bit edgier. And the mood of the band has drastically shifted but their change in attitude isn't a result of the humidity and change in audience. It was the fact the true nature of Harry and Goldie's relationship — what was happening behind the curtain — had been revealed.

Like a hard slap across each of The Orphans' faces, the reality was a harsh wake up call. The concept that their musical future rested in the fragile hands of one blonde-haired, blue-eyed writer. A writer who had inevitably fell for their cocky frontman and, as a result, now ultimately controlled what would become of their success.

Will he break her heart? This is the question looming over all of their heads. Not only out of fear of the article being ruined, but also out of concern for the wellbeing of the newest and albeit sweetest member of their tribe. Their Wendy.

"Did you need another beer?" Matt asks Grimmy, ignoring Harry and his empty cup beside them.

"I'm alright. Thanks, Matt." Grimmy glances at a sulking Harry. "Has anyone seen Golds? We invited a lot of people earlier when we were promoting tomorrow's show. Haven't spotted her in the crowd yet. She okay?"

Niall sneaks his way between two groupies ogling the band members. "Already went to check on her. She's still getting ready. That was like a hour or so ago now. She should be coming soon, right?"

As though Goldie was summoned by their queries, a bright ray of light peaks from behind the door of Grimmy's hotel room where the party is taking place. She emerges from the hall and steps in. She wears a satin magenta suit vest with no shirt underneath and her mom's high-waisted bell bottoms which now fit her perfectly.

"Fuck..." Harry whispers, eyes wide and mouth ajar at the sight of his real life Persephone.

She looks incredible. More mature in her body and wiser in her face. The confidence she gained from her public display of affection with Harry shows and she knows it. Knows it and embraces it.

"Guys! Hey!" Goldie waves excitedly, bringing forth the innocent girl one last moment before transforming back into the woman she's become.

The lift of her arm exposes the right side of her naked, braless breast. The rounded side presses against the tightly fitted vest. Her smooth skin blurs the barrier between where the flesh starts and where the blouse ends.

"Woah. Goldie, man. Your nipple!" Jonesy yells from the back of the party. "Harry, your girl looks like a babe, dude. When the hell did this happen?"

Harry looks up at Grimmy, Mitch, Matt, Niall and Jonesy, all of which have their eyes fixated on the goddess on the other side of the room.

"Where the fuck did you all come from?" Harry asks his bandmates before storming over to Goldie. "What... what is this?"

"I made it! I mean... I guess I didn't really make it. I had this outfit that came with the vest and thought 'what the hell' and came up with this! I was going for a Farrah Fawcett look. Do you like it?" Goldie gives a spin, her smile illuminating the room like a human disco ball.