Epilogue

The Orphans
Love. Hate. Revolutionary words. Lifelong Dreams.
By Goldie

The future of rock and roll presents polarizing opinions in today's generation. Some will say the best guitar riffs and heavy drum solos are yet to come. Others say new wave pop is the sound of the future. The next best thing.

Then there's Harry, Mitch, Niall, Matt and Jonesy. Collectively known as The Orphans. What do they say?

"People will love what they love," says Mitch as he restrings his weathered but precious Fender Stratocaster. Growing up alongside fellow band members Harry, Matt and Jonesy had always been a comfort to the shy guitarist. "We're just interested in playing good music. Good music that makes us and our fans happy. The genre is secondary."

Drummer Niall holds a similar sentiment. The newest of the group, Niall found it easy to fall into his rightful place with the rest of the band.

"We all bonded over a need for disruption," he says. His heavy Irish accent stands apart from the other boys' British twang. "It was almost immediate. I was filling in for a band at a local show in Portland when I saw The Orphans in the crowd. This was before I even knew who they were and that they were down a drummer. I swear, it was like they were fighting to the beat of my snare and something in me told me to jump in the crowd and join the dance. I could tell right away — this is a group of guys that would do whatever felt right to them. I wanted to be a part of that."

The bus for their first nationwide tour of the United States, affectionately nicknamed Doris, hosted memories and moments far from dull. From prank wars to quick practices on the bumpy roads from coast to coast, The Orphans never wasted a single moment of their time. Even the deep breaths from their bunks seemed to synchronize with one another. True artists who, even in their slumber, can't help but create noise for the masses to eat up like a fresh scoop of ice cream on a hot August afternoon.

So what makes these boys tick? What fuels their relentless desire to create?

"Sex and drugs" would be the answer from any layman unfamiliar with the beauty of their work and process. But the blood of the band runs deeper and warmer than the superficial rewards of fame.

The tin walls of Doris housed strange yet beautiful melodies. Sweet C chords and heart-wrenching strumming. Their sound is anything but superficial.

"We were all lost for a very long time," Matt comments. "If it wasn't for these guys pushing me to do something bigger than me, I don't know where I'd be. Even Niall understood. Practically brand new to the group and he knew what we were trying to accomplish."

It's a sense of belonging. For the damaged. The ill-prepared for life. The confused. The hurt. The angry. The submissive. The Orphans — a perfect name for their mission — aim to create a safe haven for anyone and everyone that feels they need it. To instill courage in the bullied. To spur fight in the abused. To provide courage for the beaten down. To fill the world with much-needed love, while also giving the speechless a voice.