chapter 3

~Hazel's POV~

        I didn't have time to react. No one did. The group of people were unloading clip after clip. We ran behind a dumpster, and tried to decide what to do. We were in frenzy... or at least I was. My blood was pumping twice as fast, and all I wanted to do was unleash my clip on them. I reached for my beautiful handguns I stuck in my waistband earlier, and checked my bullets. I clenched my jaw and was about to step out from behind the dumpster, when I felt a warm hand on my arm. I looked back, thinking it was Scar, but it wasn't.                                          

        "Remember what you told me?" Michael asked moving his hand down to hold mine. I do remember, I remember every single bit I told him in the diner. My life, not leaving out one detail. But it was in exchange for his life story. His sob story, that no one else knows. That doesn't mean I trust him... but I feel like I do. I pulled my hand away from his, and tried to forget what he said.                        "You can't trust anyone, but I can. You're the only one I've trusted in a long time, Hazel. Don't go out there." He whispered into my ear from behind. I tried my best to ignore him but I couldn't. His voice echoed in my head like I was shouting in a cave.

        "Play dead." I said to the group. They looked at me like I was crazy. I took out one of my knives, and cut my hand. I took the now fresh blood, and placed it on the black tank top I was wearing to look like I was shot. I took Michael's hand and looked down. Our eyes met, and a little flitter went off.         "Do you trust me, Michael?" I asked looking into his dark eyes. He looked at his hand and then the knife I was holding.

        "I've never trusted anyone as much as I trust you." He replied keeping his eyes on me, as I drug the knife across his skin. He winced with the blade, and did the same tactic as me, except lower, on his stomach.

         "Keep pressure on it." I told him, as he placed the hem of his shirt on it. I passed the knife to Luke, who would to anything to survive right now. He drug it against, and smeared it over himself, and Scar did the same thing. I could hear the gunshots coming closer, and we all turned to look at Ashton.

        "I can't do it." He said with a shaking voice. I wasn't sure why he wouldn't do it, but he was already on my nerves. He and Scar whispered to each other for a few seconds, before she just placed her bloody hand on his chest. We all fell on our backs, giving an illusion we were dead. Footsteps stopped right by me, and when his head was turned, I opened on eyes to see how many were looking at our dead bodies. To my surprise there was only two. Two people had us scared for our lives. I could have killed two people! I pulled my knife out, and wrapped my arm around the guy's neck. Scar stopped the other one, holding a gun to his head.

         "I'm going to kill you, Hazel." The guy managed out before falling to the ground unconscious. I laughed, and walked over to the other man. "We have groups everywhere looking to kill you. Be-" I ended that sentence for him with a bullet to the head. I cracked my neck, and took a deep breath.         "Let's go. We need to find her, Scar." I said keeping my eye on the prize. She nodded, and followed the three boys out of the ally. Hour three has been very eventful. We were almost killed...twice. I may have actually trusted someone, and now we have only nine hours to search all of Santa Cruz for one girl. I led the group around the corners of buildings, and down the abandoned streets of the city. We walked past a beach, and I saw a huge bonfire burning brightly. I heard loud music, and random gunshots in the air. I shook my head, how can people be so stupid on Purge night? I was walking a few feet ahead of the rest of my group, trying to wrap my head around this new feeling of trust I had in me. I don't know where my head was, but it wasn't with me. I decided to reposition my vest, since it was in an awkward position on my body. I walked past a large park, and suddenly fell hard on the cement. My vision was spotty, and I heard a few screams by me.