Chapter 5

I don't want to be over-dramatic, but this morning felt like 100 years in hell.

My alarm did not wake me and I was now late for a major exam. For a class that had one of the strictest professor known in the university.

This was my worst nightmare. I have never been late for anything. I have 5 alarms set in intervals of 10 minutes. Unfortunately, I forgot to plug my phone and the battery drained during the night. Possibly ruining my college career. And my life. And my goal of becoming the future POTUS.

I dressed in record speed and ran to class. What usually took ten minutes walking time, was cut in half, running as fast as I could, hoping against all hope that I would at least have a few minutes left to answer some questions.

But it was too late. I got there just in time to see my classmates filing out the door, each with a doomed expression on their face, telling me that they weren't too confident about the test they just took.

I waited for all the students to leave, biting my nail while I planned what to say to my professor. I entered the classroom and saw him sitting at his desk counting the papers submitted to him.

"Professor Swanson. I'm so sorry, I had an emergency. And I wasn't able to take the test today. Can I please take it at another schedule?" I asked with a high pitched voice that I couldn't control.

He looked up and gave me the most unreadable nerve wracking stare. His mouth hidden behind a bushy mustache. His eyes narrowed at me. "Miss Knope. I do not care if the world was ending today. If you miss an exam, there are no retakes allowed in my class." He said with a deep and steady voice that echoed in the empty classroom.

"Sir, I studied really hard for this exam. Ask me the hardest question on it and I'll give you the answer."

"This is not an oral exam, Miss Knope."

"I understand. But please, maybe, maybe I can submit an extra project, to at least gain some points? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?" I begged.

"The answer is, no. You may leave the room now. The exit is that way." He pointed to the door.

I knew he would say no but it stung me anyway. I turned around abruptly to hide the tears that were forming in my eyes. I walked out of the room blindly, trying not to make a sobbing sound as the tears started flowing freely.