01. The game

You know those feelings deep inside your soul that something important is going to happen? Something big and unexpected, whether it's a good or a bad thing? That feeling when your world is about to be turned over upside down and shaped into something different?

Well, Shawn woke up with that feeling today. He couldn't quite explain it, but his heart knew there was something on the horizon and his heart never failed him.

The sun failed to come up this morning, clouds taking over the sky making Shawn sigh in defeat. Many players claimed they loved playing in the rain, feeling the rain on their skin and running through a soaked field, kicking the ball that seemed a bit heavier than usual, but Shawn preferred the sun.

He loved basking in it's warmth and sweat that rolled down his body. He relished in the feeling of his curls sticking to his face as they escaped his headband, the way his jersey clung to his body and pressed itself closely against his abs.

That option wasn't available today as the dark clouds indicated a heavy downpour, but he decided he wouldn't mind it.

Not at all.

Something big was coming his way and nothing would ruin the mood for him.

Not even the rain.

The moment he walked into the locker room, he knew there was something different. All his friends were snickering and whistling, talking excitedly among themselves and it peaked his interest.

„What's going on?" He leaned in and asked Rashford who was quick to answer his burning question.

„We have someone new in our medical team." Rashford's tone was light and betrayed he was also thrilled with the new addition.

Shawn raised an eyebrow in response, his eyes searching for the mystery person, probably a girl by the way everyone was acting, but he couldn't find them.

„Don't worry...You'll see her on the field. Man she's fire! I mean, just because I can't touch, doesn't mean I can't look!" Kane interjects with a grin and taps him on the shoulder before going to the tunnels.

Shawn wondered why was she so special to get them all stirred up, guessing it was probably just the fact she was a girl among men that had them losing their heads.

He quickly changed into his jersey, number 13. It's funny how some people consider the number to be unlucky, because for Shawn, the number brought nothing short but luck.

Lacing up his cleats, checking if everything was in place before moving the curls off his face with a headband, he moves towards the tunnels as well. It was time to warm up, preparing for a game they were desperate to win as it would open the gates to the World Cup 2018. Sure, he was slightly nervous, but he believed in himself and his team, feeling that this was their time to shine and bring the cup back to England.

„Standard warm ups and straight back in 20." He heard the coach speaking and did as he was told.

He ran the field, kicking the ball back and forth until his heart was beating faster and breathing turned his throat dryer. Although many hated that part of running, Shawn needed it to confirm he was indeed doing things right.

A whistle from his left turned his attention from the ball and his eyes followed the sound to members of the opposite team. They were all focused on his team's bench and Shawn frowned at their behaviour.

His gaze moved to the girl in question for the first time and he stopped moving completely. Halting in that moment, his lips parting as his head cocked to the side. He watched her in her red getup and turned into a drooling peabrain like everyone else. A dull pain to his head shook him out of it and he chuckled to himself as he realized he got hit with the ball.