III | 𝑃𝑖𝑐𝑡𝑢𝑟𝑒 𝑛𝑜𝑡-𝑠𝑜 𝑃𝑒𝑟𝑓𝑒𝑐𝑡

⊱ ────── ๑♡๑ ────── ⊰

You sighed as you closed your bedroom door, the door to the bedroom that you hadn't slept in for over two years. You then took a look around the room, which seemed to have been left untouched since you left. Sure, you had visited a few times but you always stayed over at Ginnie's.

The walls remained an incredibly girly pale pink, the dresser had normal wear and tear as well as the Harry Potter stickers that you had stuck on as a kid, and over the headboard of your queen sized bed, hung the fairy lights that Ginnie had convinced you to put up years ago.

You had just started modelling and she got the lights for you and told you to put them over your headboard so that you would see them every morning when you got up from bed and be reminded to always "reach for the stars." You were really lucky in the friend department.

You had begged Ginnie to stay for dinner but you couldn't blame her for not wanting to, heck, you didn't want to be at the dinner either and it was your family. It hadn't even been an hour since she'd dropped you off and you had already been insulted and criticized by your mother.

She nearly had a heart-attack after seeing you in ripped jeans, white converse, and a white crop-top with a jean jacket over it. She insisted you changed into something more "feminine" for dinner. Luckily, your brother had brought up your suitcases to your bedroom.

"Deep breath (Y/N), this is just for a few weeks while you look for an apartment," you reassurred yourself quietly.

You opened up one of your suitcases and pulled out a black two-piece midi dress with brown buttons that you hoped would satisfy your mother and not cause her chest pains. Ultimately deciding to rock the boat just a tiny bit, you completed the outfit with a pair of brown converse. You wouldn't be yourself if you didn't give your mother a small headache and cause some slight angina.

"Dinner's ready, bum!" Your brother shouted from downstairs, interrupting your thoughts, you smiled hearing him call you a "bum." It was his way of showing affection.

"I'm coming, tell mum I'm finishing getting dressed."

"Whatever."

Zach was your only sibling, he was seventeen years old and the two of you were vastly different. He was outgoing, athletic, and got along with everyone while you were much more reserved, artistic, and intellectual. You had always slightly resented him for being the "golden child" in your mother's eyes while you only got criticism, but he was such a nice guy, you knew it wasn't his fault.

Your mother had always wanted the two of you to go to university and reach the highest levels of academia and eventually become professionals, in your case, a doctor like your father. Your mother had gone to law school and finished but she married your father soon after and became a housewife, she now wanted your brother to become a lawyer in her place, and like always he obliged, though his heart was in football (not American football) and he was quite good.

His going along with everything she orchestrated annoyed you as you were always seen as the rebellious one. This led to the two of you not talking very much and even less while you were away. However, he had never been outright cold until now, though still pleasant enough. When he opened the door when you first arrived he looked as if he had just seen a ghost, like the face you had when you saw Tom at the airport, you wondered what was up with that.

Maybe it was for the best that Ginnie wasn't going to be around, you instantly thought when you remembered what happened with Tom. You felt guilty not telling her about it, but you knew she was going to grill you with one hundred questions and you wanted to get settled in first. You'd be ready to spill everything to her tomorrow, that is, if you survived the night.