Chapter 3 Pt. 2

Meridian walked out of the bathroom wrapped up in a towel and sat on the end of the bed holding her head. She slowly lifted her head from her hands and began to stare off. Raina waved her hands in front of Meridian. "Meridian, hello?" Meridian turned and smiled at Raina.

"Hi Raina, you are playful today." Meridian giggled and lay back on the bed laughing.

Raina collected her things in anticipation of her meeting. "Well, good, it looks like everything is working out." Raina muttered to herself as she watched Meridian giggle.

Meridian sat up and looked at Raina. "So, when will you be back? I will need you to take care of me, you know." Meridian flashed a smile and bit her bottom lip. Raina leaned over and gave Meridian a kiss.

"Oh, I will be back, and we will definitely take care of one another." Raina left and headed out for her meeting while Meridian passed out on the bed.

Raina dashed out of the house looking disheveled and unkept from not sleeping with work and staying up late with Meridian. Her worries of not maintaining the lies never gave her rest. She walked into town several blocks away and went into a coffee house and sat down at a table. As she waited she dug through her purse and pulled out the bottle that held the elixir that she had been giving Meridian. As she held it up, the bottle was nearly empty. Raina placed the bottle on the table as the waitress walked up to take her order.

"What can I get you to drink?" The waitress asked Raina as she stared at the bottle. Raina moved her hand over the bottle.

"I will take coffee, black." Raina quickly put the bottle back into her purse and was startled when the person she was meeting showed up.

"So you are already out are you?" The tall, thin and dark headed women dressed in a long black summer dress took her sunglasses off and set them on the table as she made herself comfortable. Adorned in jewelry, her fingernails were perfectly manicured with red polish. She sat with her hands clasped in her lap as she looked on Raina with a grin. "Well I always knew you to be impetuous, but I didn't fathom you would start using elixir again. When you called me the first time, I was a little surprised. This is what got you kicked out of Esmra's coven the first time. She has reluctantly let you back in and you are using magic on the very person you were to help. Now I am curious. So it begs the question, what are you up to?"

Raina took pause to the woman's words as she looked down at the bottle and fumbled with it with her fingertips. "I need her." Raina said as she locked eyes with her friend. "Amelia, please do not give me a hard time on this one. I do need her."

Amelia looked displeased as she sat back in her chair with her arms now crossed. The waitress had returned to get Raina her coffee and as the waitress set a cup in front of Amelia, she lifted her hand from the cross of her arm. "None for me, thank you." Amelia looked back at Raina who was stirring sugar into her drink. "Raina, I am starting to think that you have lost your way and you have forgotten what magic is about, what it is for. Every witch knows that when she uses magic for dark purposes, it comes back times three. You are in over your head." Amelia leaned forward in her chair and stared at Raina who had stopped stirring her coffee. "You will pay the price. Are you sure you want to continue down this path?"

Raina took a sip of her coffee and stared down at the bottle on the table and she didn't blink as she swallowed. Never moving the coffee cup away from her face, she quietly said without emotion, "Yes."

Amelia picked up her purse and dug out a small black velvet bag and laid it on the table. "Very well then, here it is. This is the last I will give you. I hope you know what you are doing and what you are getting yourself into...because I sure do." Amelia said as she stood up from the table and left Raina sitting and staring at the table.