Chapter 4 Pt2

Aiden and Chris had made it home to Aiden's grandparents' house and awoke the next day to a long list of chores that Aiden's grandpa had left for them to complete while they were home for their spring break. Both were out in the pasture on four wheelers holding bags of feed as they led the herd of cattle toward the pens.

"So Chris, how long has it been? Are you ready to get dirty?" Aiden laughed.

Chris did not look thrilled, staring with dread as the many cows bustled one another to get to the cow cake strewn through the pasture. "It has been a while, stop laughing. You know I hate doing this. You owe me a fishing trip man!" Chris threw a rock at Aiden as he was getting off of his four-wheeler.

"Well grandpa wouldn't let just us three do all the work, we have help coming in. Besides do you have any idea how long it would take to mark, spray and vaccinate three hundred head?" Aiden threw a rock back at Chris.

The pair stayed busy all day until the sun set. Aiden smiled more than usual, having not mentioned much about Meridian. The boys went inside to clean up and get a meal from the grandmother who had her hands full cooking for the lot that showed up to help out for the day.

The aroma from the cooking filled the house and hung right outside the screen door, teasing a hungry group. The steaks were piled high alongside grandmother's famous mashed potatoes. Aiden and Chris ran up the steps slugging one another and laughing to see who could get there first. As they busted through the door, a familiar voice filled the air, over the clanging of pots and pans coming from the kitchen.

"You boys better cut it out! Get in here and eat before the human garbage disposals arrive and eat more than they should!" Grandmother's voice trailed off as she went back to whistling.

Aiden and Chris collected their selves and walked into the kitchen and stood smiling ear to ear. "Grams, I smell it...where it is? Hide it! They will come in here and I won't get any." Aiden was on the hunt for cobbler, fumbling through the cupboards and lifting lids to everything that was set out in the kitchen.

Aiden's grandmother stood at the table sorting out plates and silver wear and she took pause to walk over and slap Aiden's hand as he was digging into another bowl. "Get out! Your hands are filthy, you are filthy. If you can't manage a shower first, the least you could do is wash your hands!"

Aiden giggled and walked over to the sink to wash his hands. As Aiden scrubbed, his grandmother took a look at Chris and pointed. "You too!"

The boys eventually made it upstairs and scrubbed off the days hard work, continuing their light hearted and fun visiting in Aiden's room. Chris had not said much to Aiden about what took place at the convenience store the night before. He glanced at Aiden, looking for the best way to approach the subject, meanwhile he turned on the television while Aiden was sorting his dirty laundry.

"So last night, at the convenience store, you want to tell me what the hell that was all about?" Chris asked.