Chapter Thirteen

Lessons for a High Master

Bam! Bam! The sound of wood crashing fills the garden. Its so hot today. I stop and wipe my sweat. "How many was that Kuma?" I smile leaning forward with my Katana. 

"589 hits! You've done outstanding." Ah yes.. this training is a good distraction. I smile and turn towards the very deformed tree. I place my hand on it, running the tips of my fingers through the crevasses. 

"To cut down a tree is one thing, but a human being.." I murmur.

"We Ninja must do things we may not always agree too, but we always need to look towards the greater cause, Princess." She pats my shoulder. Those words could of came from Lord Saizo's mouth. I smile at her.

"I am so hungry!" 

"Hehe Kuma we just ate Break fest."

"Yes, but lunch is coming soon and I don't know if I can wait." We small talk as we head to the kitchen. 

From outside the kitchen door, we could already smell the wondrous freshly cooked bread. 

"Oh may I help!" I grab an apron.

"No milady! I could not let you, of your class and to add up your injury." The maid pleads with me trying to remove the tattered apron. I wont let loose easy though! 

"No no. I use to make countless meals here all the time! The Shinobi loved my cooking, at least that's what they'd always say!" As I said so I slipped out of her grip and began chopping vegetables vigorously. 

"Wow Nanami, you cut veggies like a pro!" Kuma says munching on her bread. I smile brightly. 

"I remember, when I first came to this mansion I had no memories of my family, past, nor who I was. But as soon as I began helping out everyone knew I wasn't an ordinary noble." I filled the rice cakes with the veggies. 

"You really lost all your memories.. You are very strong." One maid says. 

"Thank you. But I didn't recover alone. I had help from Yoshitsune, and Goyo-" The way the maids listened intently and Kuma made me loose my train of thought. They begin to giggle. 

"Who was this Goyo man?" One maid giggles. I put the cakes in the oven. They wouldn't give up if I didn't tell them... 

"He was one of Yoshitsune's Shinobi. He saved me from the battlefield."

"Ah, your hero?" One of them blurts. Kuma happily munches on her bread while eyeing me happily.

"He was, little did I know that he was a Prince." 

"Your Prince?" Kuma adds in making the others laugh.

"No! He was Emperor Shii's son of the mainland.. we had gone there in escape of the invasion here. At the time we did not know Yoritomo had a insidious plan." 

"What happened to Goyo, milady?"

"He stayed. He has a duty after all.." I didn't realize I had been staring blankly.

"Was he handsome?" They all laugh joyously. Then suddenly the sliding door opens. "...." The maids and Kuma fall silent.

"Lord Saizo...?" I look to him. He has a rather irritated expression on his face.

"Why are you cooking?" He snapped. 

"I just thought it's be nice.."

"You are a Ninja Princess, you have to act like it." He is getting angry for no reason.