V | The Friend

Friday

On the morning of Friday, Kyungsoo received a phone call from his grandmother, telling him that his grandfather had an accident.

He was in his morning class, but he had to excuse himself. Good thing his professor was considerate enough to let him go home.

Kyungsoo went back home to his apartment first, grabbing some clothes to bring over the weekend before heading to the train station to take him to his hometown in Gyeonggi-do.

When he arrived there at around 9 in the morning, he immediately went to the local hospital where his grandfather was admitted.

He came rushing to one of the rooms there, finding his grandmother, a little stressed.

"What happened?"

"Kyungsoo-yah, I'm so glad you're here. Your grandfather got hit by a reckless teenager who was biking on the street near the grocery store. The doctor said he'll be fine, but he's in a bit of pain."

He hugged his grandmother to calm her down, then he looked over to his grandfather who was laying on the hospital bed, sleeping. The sight of his grandfather resting made him sigh in relief.

He'll be okay, he thought.

After eating lunch and catching up with his grandmother, they both headed for their house. His grandfather was yet to be released from the hospital, so they went home to rest for a while.

He truly missed his grandparents. Even though he had been there just a month ago, before the second semester started, he couldn't help but feel a little homesick for his real home.

It's not that he wasn't used to the city life, because he was. He'd been living in the city for three years now, so he was very much used to it.

But every now and then, he'd really miss the smell of the trees in the countryside, and he'd remember how things were so simple back then.

He truly missed his home.

There wasn't much to do in his grandparents' house

There wasn't much to do in his grandparents' house. Kyungsoo had left most of his study materials in his apartment, although he had brought some, like the book he had borrowed from the library for another report that he had to do.

His grandparents weren't a fan of technology, as do most old people, but they do have a desktop computer in their home. They weren't that much outdated. The computer at hand, however, was a bit old.

It was his old computer back in high school, a present from his grandfather. Even then, Kyungsoo was a really careful person, so even if the computer was old, it could still run properly.

He had settled for that computer to do his report. It had the basic Microsoft Office software, which was all he needed. He didn't think to bring his laptop amidst his haste to get to his hometown, so that computer would have to do for now.