Past and Present [11]

Chapter 11

Past and Present

>William<

I am still unsure if trying to comfort Luna was the best idea, things have become a lot more awkward since then. Today is the reaping of Luna’s mother, and I still haven’t found a way to tell her yet. It would be quite difficult for her knowing her mother was about to die within a few hours, but I think she would also be hurt if I didn’t tell her. I am unsure of what I should do, and I have a limited amount of time to decide, the reaping will be at 4:30, and it is currently 2:50.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps approaching me, stopping once the person was next to m. I turned to see who was now beside me, and my eyes met with sparkling blue-green eyes.

“Will, I’m going to go visit my mom, do you want to come with me”, she asked me. Her question shocked me, so this is how she planned to get rid of the awkward tension.

I nodded slowly, “Hey Luna”, once I had gotten her attention, I continued, ”I need to tell you something.. I wasn’t sure if I should at first, but I think you should know”, I said.

She blinked in confusion, her head tilting slightly, “What is it”, she asked.

I sighed, then adverted my eyes from her gaze, “Today.. your mom”, I said, hoping she would understand, which she did.

Shocked, she abruptly sat on the couch. I sat beside her, and began patting her back, attempting to comfort the poor girl, “When”, she said, barely whispering.

I sighed once more, “About two hours”, I said, now stroking her back gently.

She slowly moved her head towards mine, “Let’s go”, she said, her eyes looking for a single spark of hope and happiness.

Once the both of us had stood up, I felt an arm slide next to mine. I looked down at her, hoping my face would be expressionless as always, but to avail. She managed to let a small smile appear on her rosy face, then reached up to poke my colorful cheek. Her miniscule smile grew slightly, then disappeared once her arm was by her side again. Her other arm was still wrapped around mine. We began walking outside, feeling cold air hit us. Luna began holding onto my arm as if it were her last hope, continueing to snuggle closer to me shortly after.

Once we reached my car, she reluctantly let go after I had opened the door for her. I closed her door, then made my way to the drivers seat. As I entered, I noticed Luna was shivering, and without a thought I reached my hand out to her.

She stared at my hand confused, “If you’d like to, you can hold my hand while I drive”, I offered, “It’s okay, we’re not on the list”, I say, trying to calm her down a bit.

She takes her cold hand in mine, “Thanks”, she mumbled. I nodded, her mother's words flowing into my mind, she has never said 'I love you' to anyone since she was a small child, instead she says 'thanks', and that is how you know she really appreciates you... and she loves you.

My face heated up at the thought, but shook it off and decided to focus only on driving.

When we arrive, Luna began painfully clutching my hand. I looked at her, and saw that her face was full of fright. I gently gave her hand a squeeze, making her look at me, “I’m here for you”, I said, giving her a small smile.

(~Time Warp: An hour later~)

I looked at Anna’s limp body, she had been whispering to Luna and I for a while, then we heard a knock. Luna’s mom didn’t hear anything, and continued breathing slowly. I opened the door and saw Ronald standing there.

“I blackmailed Grell into letting me help you reap this one”, he said quietly, walking into the room. When Luna looked up, she immediately knew what was about to happen.

“Thanks for everything, mom… I love you”, she said in almost a whisper, then let go of her frail hand.

Luna walked behind us, and Ronald handed me my death scythe. I looked at Luna, who was now in the edge of the room, her body shaking. I walked over to her, “Close your eyes”, I said, and she obeyed, “I’ll tell you when to open them”, I whispered. I saw she was still shaking, my body unconsciously stepped closer to her, making my face approach hers. I placed a quick kiss on her forehead, which made her flinch, but her body stopped shaking and relaxed soon after.

I backed away from her, the began reaping Anna’s soul with the help of Ronald. I placed the tip of my scythe on her body, making her cinematic record fly out of her. Ronald and I quickly collected her cinematic record, observing some it as we did so.

I saw what Luna’s father, in some images his eyes would flash red, but only when he was with Luna or with Anna. It didn’t seem as if he wanted to devour their soul, it seemed like his eyes only glowed when he was joyful.

Luna appeared to be a happy child back then, I wonder if I can see what happened here. After a while there was a strip of images of Luna with a group of children. The children appeared to be picking on Luna. A blinding light came from her direction, and there was a small spark of red in there. In the next image, her eyes were glowing red, and the children were all on the floor, scared half to death. Once her eyes went back to normal, she looked at the kids in awe, obviously unaware of what had happened. She ran to her mother, her eyes dripping with tears.

In another, Luna appeared to be around fifteen, she was with a few others, and one had his arm around her. She wasn’t smiling, she had a cold expression on her face, and the guy had an evil glint in his eyes. After a while of viewing that film strip, I realized that they were the people that were at the park, the ones that had been beating her up.

One appeared before me, it appeared to have Luna in present time. She was curled into a ball, staring at a floor. She seemed to have been crying, silently reading something. She looked up at something, which her mother turned to face as well. In the distance, you could see a man with long red hair, which matched his clothing, and another man who was dressed in a suit, his hair combed nicely, and his appearance spotless. The man in the suit had received a card from a younger girl, and the red man was bothering the man in the suit, to get him to stop, the man in the suit hit him with a scythe. Anna looked back at Luna, who was now smiling.

(A/N: Again short chapter, but this time there won't be a "late night random" rant. Only a "I slept really late so now my head hurts" rant. I'm only joking. The reason this chapter this chapter is because I was drawing something, [which has to do with this], and also because I have BIG plans for the next chapter. So, that is my excuse this time. Meow.)