Part 3

Andi's POV

"Hey, guys!" Amber says as she greets Jonah and I as our server. "What do you want to eat?"

"Just a burger and a root beer for me," Jonah says.

"Don't you want baby taters?" I ask him. "You always get baby taters."

"Well, you're getting baby taters, right? I'll just share some of yours."

I clasp my hands together on the table. "Okay, then. Amber, get me a strawberry milkshake and a basket of baby taters for us to share."

She gives me a grin. "Coming right up."

As she leaves, Jonah leans back in his seat.

"So," he says, "how are you?"

"The same as when you last asked me," I respond, "five minutes ago."

"Oh, sorry."

"How's guitar coming along?" I ask. "Have you written any new songs?"

"Not since that one for Libby, and you know how that turned out. Didn't really think that through."

"Right. Sorry. It was a beautiful song."

"Thanks, Andi," he says with a smile. "I'm learning "Moonshadow" right now."

"I know that song!" I say. "What exactly is a moonshadow?"

He laughs. "No idea."

Suddenly, Amber shows up, setting our food down on the table. "Here you go!"

"Thank you, Amber," I say.

"Yeah, thanks," Jonah agrees.

She smiles and walks away, leaving me to watch Jonah as he picks up one of the baby taters before biting into his burger. I take one tater myself, making sure not to expose the note underneath.

"So there's that dance coming up," I say. "Are you planning on going?"

He shrugs. "I guess. Nobody's asked me yet, so I'll probably just go with friends."

"Oh," I say. "Well, that's okay. You're an awesome dancer."

I watch intently as he picks at the baby taters, waiting for him to see the note.

"I'm really not, but you don't need to be good to have fun," he says.

Then he notices the blue cursive at the bottom of the dish.

"What's this?" He pulls out the note to read it, smiling. "Andi . . ."

"Will you go to the Frosted Formal with me?" I bite my lip in anticipation.

His grin widens and his eyes go soft. "Of course, Andi."

We smile at each other for a moment before I glance at Amber and give her a thumbs up.

Amber's POV

I give Andi a wide smile when I see her thumbs up. He must've said yes. Why did I help her with this again? I should be the one taking her to the dance. Not him.

As soon as she turns back to him, I spin around to fill up a soda for a customer from the machine. Distracted by my thoughts, I manage to overfill the cup, causing it to spill over into the tray at the bottom, making the outside of the cup all sticky.

"Damn it," I whisper to myself as I reach for a napkin to wipe it off.

"Does your manager appreciate you cursing on the job?"