Part 4

Andi's POV

"Where are we going?" I ask.

I follow Amber down the street, past several shops. Before answering, she reaches back to take my hand, pulling me farther forward. She stops in front of Nine Lives, grinning wide.

"We're wearing vintage to the dance?" I say.

"This is where I saw the dress," she responds. "That one I said would be perfect for you."

She pushes open the doors and immediately beelines for the dress section. I'm instantly hit by the plethora of options before me, but Amber is jumping right in, swiping through the clothes with lightning speed. She pulls one off the rack and drapes it over her arm.

"This is the one I saw before, but go ahead and pick out a few options," she says.

I collect two, and she finds one, holding it up for me to see.

"You into shoulder pads?" she asks with a laugh.

Other than that, it's really pretty, designed with a blue lace overlay and a detailed beaded collar.

"Not really," I say, giggling with her.

She puts it over her arm, saying, "Suit yourself, but I'm gonna try it on."

After we've collected a few each, we go toward the dressing room. We take turns trying on the dresses, starting with me. Amber waits on the seat for me to finish changing. When I do, I step out through the door with a twirl, revealing a purple dress with a sheer overlay and straps lined with fabric flowers—one that I picked out for myself.

"It's beautiful!" Amber says.

"I don't think purple's really my colour," I say. In the mirror, I don't glow like a teenage girl should when she's going to a dance, and the puffiness of the flowery straps encloses my neck like a sandwich. 

"Try on the pink one," she says.

It's not the one she picked out, but it's better. I come out and look in the mirror at the simplicity of the draping A-line skirt and bow on my chest.

"It's nice," I say.

"But not perfect," Amber finishes for me.

"Yeah." Then I turn to look at her. "You try one on."

She smiles and trades places with me, so I get to sit on the chair and wait for her. She comes out of the change room with a shiny blue dress down to her knees. There's a floral pattern embroidered at the end of the skirt, adding a nice touch. She smiles and spins around, her blonde curls bouncing with the movement.

"Amber, you look amazing!" I say. It's true. She's absolutely stunning in a way I've never seen her before. It's crazy how a formal dress can change someone's whole semblance.

"You think so?" she asks with a grin. "Yeah, I guess I do."

I laugh, standing up to be beside her. "I can't even comprehend how beautiful you look."

She spins to me and touches my hand. "Thanks. Now for the one with shoulder pads."

She grins as she goes back into the change room, and comes out with the thick-shouldered blue dress on.

She laughs, putting her face in her hands before looking up at the mirror. She tries to regain her breath and be serious as she scans her reflection.

"It's definitely a look," I say with a grin.

"I kind of look like a football player up here," she says, pointing to her shoulders. Then she holds out her skirt. "And like I'm trying to court someone down here."