Part 9

Andi's POV

I sit cross-legged on my bed, watching Youtube videos on my laptop and scraping out the remainders of the mint chocolate chip ice cream directly from the container. Christina Perri's "Distance" is playing on repeat at full blast, muffling my sobs. Even with the several distractions, she's somehow still at the forefront of my thoughts. Why did I have to like her?

A knock precedes Bowie opening the door and peaking his head in.

"Do you want to talk about it yet?" he wonders.

I shake my head.

He purses his lips and nods. "Okay."

Then he closes the door gently, leaving me alone with my crying.

A few minutes later, there's another knock, but this one has more force. Then the door bursts open, revealing Buffy and Cyrus with concerned looks on their faces.

"What's going on?" Buffy asks.

They come to join me on the bed, sitting down on either side of me. Buffy studies my computer screen and rolls her eyes.

"I hate to tell you, but watching DIY videos won't solve your problems."

I shut my laptop and lean back against my pillow, digging into my ice cream again.

"Why are you here?" I whine.

"We're worried about you," Cyrus says. "You left the dance so suddenly."

"And you usually love dances," Buffy adds. "Is this about Jonah?"

I shake my head. "We both agreed we're just friends."

Then Cyrus surprises me. "Is it Amber?"

I freeze for a moment, my spoon stopping in the middle of a scoop. "Why would you think that?"

"She mentioned how something happened, but she wouldn't say what."

"Yeah, well, something did happen, but it doesn't matter anyway." I stuff the spoon in my mouth.

"Andi, what are you talking about?" Buffy asks. "What happened?"

"We kissed," I mutter.

Buffy and Cyrus go into states of shock, mouths gaping.

"You what?" Buffy says. "How? When?"

"Before the dance. She kissed me. But it meant nothing. She doesn't like me that way."

"Andi, what are you talking about?" Cyrus asks.

"She's going on a date with Walker."

Buffy puts her arm around me, squeezing my shoulders, while Cyrus looks like he's having trouble comprehending the information I've given him.

"It'll be okay," Buffy says. "You're too good for her."

I feel another tear stream down my face. "Buffy, I really like her."

A second passes for her to take that in. "When did that happen?"

"I don't know," I reply. "I just looked at her—like really looked at her—and I feel like I just saw her differently."

She gives me a sympathetic smile. "I know what you mean."

"Andi," Cyrus says, "you should tell Amber that you like her."

The thought makes me queasy again. "No, Cyrus. She likes Walker. I can't tell her now. And you better not tell her either."

"But—"