Chapter Fourteen

The sun had almost completely set, and the sky was dark. Stars were beginning to poke through the blackness, which got Patton's attention. "Oooo," he breathed, propping himself up on the edge of the pool and pushing himself upwards, as though he was trying to get as close to the sky as possible. "ʻAʻole au e nānā i nā hōkū. He nani lākou!"

"The stars?" Logan asked, sitting down beside him. "They are beautiful, aren't they?"

"Starrrrs?" the merman tried. "The stars are beeeauuutifuulll."

He stumbled a little over the longer word, but grinned and looked proud of himself. The intellectual young man nodded with a smile. "That's it," he praised. "You're learning fast, Patton. I'm proud of you."

"What is... beeeeauuutifull?" he asked, looking at him with wide, curious eyes.

"You," Logan replied immediately. The merman seemed to understand, blushing under the light of the moon above them as he coughed and sputtered. "Uh- I mean- It's an adjective, a way of describing something or someone. It means they're nice to look at."

He was staring deeply into the man's eyes, making him feel like the one being studied. There was just something about Patton's gaze that made it hard to look away. "You're beautiful."

It was Logan's turn to blush, his cheeks growing hot at the comment. "I- T-Thank you," he managed, but he was distracted by the fact that the merman was leaning toward him. He felt as though he couldn't move, not that he wanted to when their lips met gently. He felt as though his entire body was wrapped in fluffy blankets. He felt at home, comfortable, and yet he was kissing a mythical creature he'd only known for a few hours. When they broke apart, he tried to think of something intelligent to say, only coming up with stuttering. "I- um- uh-"

"Come," Patton whispered, pulling on the back of his neck as he lowered himself into the pool. The man rather ungracefully followed with a splash, leading to the sound of his companion's giggles to fill his ears once he was submerged. "You're really silly, human."

Logan froze, eyes snapping open to look toward the merman. He'd just spoken English, flawlessly; that made no sense, he couldn't understand a word he'd said just hours ago, and he'd just spoken a fluent sentence without any instruction. That wasn't the only thing strange about what was happening, and he only realized it when his breathing hitched from the merman's touch.

Wait... his breathing hitched?

The intellectual young man felt himself panic at the thought of breathing, inhaling sharply out of reflex and coughing because he thought he'd inhaled water. "Be calm, Logan," Patton said, hand falling from his cheek to take his hand. "You have the kiss of a mermaid. You shall not drown."

He couldn't explain why he trusted him so much, but he trusted the merman with his life. "I... I don't understand, how can you speak English all of a sudden?" he asked, hearing his own voice echoing through the water of the pool. That's when he got a better look at Patton, seeing these glowing patterns and marks along his skin, shimmering in the water. He frowned; those definitely hadn't been there a few seconds ago. "What are those glowing marks? What did your kiss do to me? Why-"

"Shh..." he cooed in response. He swam around him, curling his tail around his leg and angling himself so that they were chest to chest and face to face. "I shall answer your questions, starting with the obvious, of course. When my people are underwater, we are able to speak to any creature we please. I'm speaking my native tongue, but you're hearing your native tongue."

Logan calmed a little; well, calmed as much as he could considering he was breathing underwater at the moment. "As for the marks, well... do you know what soulmates are, Logan?"