Chapter Seventeen

"You know, I've never actually... used my legs," Patton admitted as he looked down at them. He stretched them, touching them to the water with a curious look. "They teach us how to do it in case we're ever captured by humans and we need to get away but we're not in water. I've never had to use them though."

He pulled them out of the water and tucked them under himself, trying to stand up. "Whoa Patton, careful," the human said, grabbing his hand to steady him. 

The ground beneath them was slippery with the water. The last thing he wanted was his merman soulmate to slip and fall. He could injure himself beyond what he was capable to heal. He couldn't imagine what would happen if he slipped and hit his head or something. 

Patton stood up determinedly, but was wobbling very badly on his legs. Logan stood quickly and kept a firm hand gripping his. When the merman still shook and swayed, he snaked an armed around his waist. "You okay?" he asked as the merman fell against his chest. He realized that he was shorter than him, making him smile down at him. 

He looked up and grinned happily before hugging him tightly. "We're hugging! Like humans!" 

"Don't the merfolk hug?" he questioned curiously. 

"Oh yeah, but not very often. Everyone's always busy, and they're like 'Why do you want to hug Pathos? You're so weird' most of the time," Patton explained with a shrug as he gripped him tighter. 

Logan felt a tug at his heart at the thought, hugging him tighter. "You're not weird," he said, reaching up to run his fingers through the hairs on the back of his head. "Now come on, are you going to sleep in the pool or inside? How long will you be able to do the leg thing? Will sleeping inside with your legs exhaust you more than it would help you?"

"I'm not sure... I've never actually used my leg magic other than practice," the merman said, looking down at them. "You know... I wonder if they were lying about it being exhausting. I feel fine, and they said that after a couple minutes you'd feel dizzy. Maybe they were just telling us that to scare into never going on land. You see, they forbid us from going near the beach and the humans. We're not supposed to leave the ocean."

"How are we gonna work then?" the man inquired, mostly talking to himself. Patton gave him a worried, wide-eyed look and he quickly shook his head. "Never mind, we'll figure it out."

The merman gnawed on his bottom lip so he changed the subject. "Hey, since you can walk, I can show you around my house," Logan suggested. At this, he brightened up and nodded excitedly. 

They made their way into the house. The cool air was a shock to Patton; he made a mental note to get him a blanket. With every second he spent on his feet, the merman got better and better at walking. Eventually, he was pulling away from the man and dashing back and forth whenever there was something he was interested in. One thing in particular caught his eye.

"Ooooh! What's this?!" he gasped excitedly, pointing to a radio. 

"That's a radio, Patton," he said as he walked over to it. "When you push these buttons, it plays music. You guys have music in your kingdom, right?"

He nodded excitedly as he pushed the play button. Some swing music he'd been playing in the background while reading the other day started playing through the speakers. "WOW! We don't have music like this!" the merman explained, beginning to dance around wildly. "How are you supposed to dance to this when there's all those instruments and stuff!"

"Like this Pat," Logan said, smiling as he took his hands and taught him how to step in time to the music. He was a natural at it, swinging around the room with happy giggles. "You're getting the hang of it!"

"Only cause you're a great teacher!"