Chapter Four

I wake up the on my first day prepared to go work at a theatre for the next few months, but not prepared to go meet actual Broadway actors and technicians. It feels surreal, and I'm incredibly grateful for Logan and his kindness. A couple days after I met him at the coffee shop, he texts me to ask for my email address, and within the next few minutes, I had the rehearsal schedule open in front of me.

Adrenaline rushes through my veins as I wait for my stop on the subway. The people around me have no idea that I'm about to go work on a Broadway show, and they probably wouldn't care if they did.

Once I arrive at the theatre, Logan greets me and runs me through a couple brief introductions to the most notable technicians I should look to for work. He explains that today's rehearsal is more focused on the actors, so I could use it to get comfortable with the sets and other technical components of the show.

I focus as I go through them all, double checking the list of props, running over the cues for sound, and finally, checking the ropes controlling the curtains. Logan comes to stand next to me, reading over his stage manager notes and as well as dramaturge notes. As I work, voices catch my attention, causing me to look up. My breath catches in my throat at the sight. The director was speaking to someone I'd never seen before. He was, for lack of a less cliche word, breathtakingly gorgeous. My eyes widen as I stare.

"Who is that?"

Logan looks up, blinking upon hearing me speak suddenly after having not spoken all day. He follows my eyes, tilting his head as he realizes who it was I was staring at. "That, is Roman Prince," he says, giving me a confused look. "Do you not know him? He's the lead, and a prestigious actor in the Broadway community."

"I've heard that name before I think, but I've never known who he was, let alone seen him," I reply, my eyes not leaving the gorgeous man.

My new intellectual friend raises an eyebrow at my starstruck expression, smirking a little knowingly. "I feel you should know that it says in my notes that you're his stage hand and quick changer during the actual runs of the show."

I nearly choke on my own saliva as I look at him sharply. "W-What?" I manage with a gasp. He was already looking back to his notes, smirking to himself. "Why wasn't I aware of this?!"

"Maybe because I've yet to assign stage hands and quick changers so I've decided your assignment just now?" Logan says as he straightens his glasses. He watches in his peripherals as Roman Prince waves a farewell to the director and starts to walk our way without me realizing it. "You'll have to introduce yourself."

Timing it perfectly, Logan pushes me, causing me to stumble forward with a yelp. I expect to hit the ground so I close my eyes, but I'm caught by something; it felt strong and reassuring, yet gentle and warm. I look up with wide eyes, seeing a gorgeous pair staring back at me. I could feel my jaw fall open as my face flushed.

"Are you alright?" Roman Prince asks in concern. I could only nod as I swallow nervously.

Logan clears his throat, pretending to just notice him. "Oh, Mr. Prince, this is your stage hand and quick changer, Virgil Black," he says, gesturing to me, the young man the actor was currently holding up by the arms. "During shows he'll be there to assist you in any way he can."

"Oh! Well, it is a pleasure to meet you," Roman says with a smile before looking to Logan. "And Roman will do just fine please."

Logan nods in acknowledgement of the request as I keep my gaze lowered and I fidget nervously. "Why don't you help him get situated in his dressing room, Virgil?"

I give him an incredulous look that was somewhat a death glare; I'd only met this man a few days ago and he was already getting me into situations with gorgeous men that made me remember just how gay I was. The lead actor in front of me smiles. "Sure, it'd give us some time to get to know each other," he say, gesturing for me to follow him as he heads for his dressing room. I give Logan an anxious look that said 'What the fuck?' before Roman calls my name. "You comin' Virgil?"