A Startling Discovery

I sat up at the desk and began to read. After many hours of research, I learnt about a secret organisation called the 'Volunteer Fire Department' and I learnt about the schism that tore them apart. I learnt about secret spyglasses and a thing called 'the sugar bowl'. I learnt about codes and fires and deaths.

Just as I was about to get up from the desk and go fetch a glass of water, I glanced out the window, and noticed the paper boy throw a newspaper onto the front step. After making sure he was gone, I hopped outside and grabbed the paper. I gasped in shock. The newspaper read 'Duncan and Isadora Kidnapped!' followed by a picture of my beloved triplets. My heart was filled with elation. My two other triplets that I had long accepted to be dead, were alive!

I studied the newspaper thoroughly but there was no mention of Duncan and Isadora's whereabout. They were irrevocably missing. And I was lost. By now they could be dead. I was just about to head back to the study when a sudden idea filled my head. If I could find the headquarters of VFD, maybe they could help me find my siblings!

I raced back to the weird caged room and headed straight to the index of 'The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations'. After skimming quickly for the word headquarters and turning to the indexed page, I began to read. It didn't take long for me to find out that the headquarters were somewhere in the Mortmain Mountains, so that was where I was headed next.