↠ textbook

Y'all i saw this prompt on miki-saur's otp prompts book and I h a d to write it so s/o to them and please check out their books because they've helped me out with my writer's block multiple times and they're amazing so yeah go check them out please 🤗

This is in Joe's perspective btw, also, for the sake of the AU, Joe will be younger than Ben. (Joe- 17 Ben-18)

First day of school. Science class. I rolled my eyes as I entered another portion of hell- I mean school- I mean, well, same thing. The teacher started on about his personal life, the wife, the kids, the usual. I'd gone through this during every class so far.

A little while passed before he finally finished talking about himself and handed out some supplies to everyone- a pamphlet about lab safety and a textbook. Ugh. The dreaded text book, invented by some lazy teacher who decided, "I want an off day, let's have them read out of books instead of teaching them." Honestly though, whoever thought of this was a genius- and is winning at life significantly.

"Please open the book and write your name. This will be yours for the remainder of the year. Don't lose it!" The teacher spoke, and I opened the book.

name|||||period|||||year
Adam 2 2015
Madison 7 2016
Ben H. 5 2017
_________________

My eyes were glued on the most recent name- Ben H. I knew immediately that this must be Ben Hardy, my crush. I'd had eyes on him ever since the middle of my sophomore year, but with him being an obviously straight, really hot junior at the time, I knew I didn't have a chance with him.

I smiled at his name, happily writing mine below it, before doodling a few hearts around his. It was mine for now anyways, and I could just erase it after I was done with it, no big deal.

"I'm glad to have met you all, see you kids tomorrow!" He finally finished, all of us getting up and stretching- I'm pretty sure half the class got a nice nap out of this period.

I stuffed the text book into my backpack and lazily slung it around my back. Then, I was on my way- off to my last period, which was an off period. It was nice, because I could just hang out in the library or the computer lab and do nothing.

As soon as I walked out of class, the hallway flooded with noisy students, rushing around like ants to locate their next class. I just groaned and went on my way, expecting to be tossed around like a rag doll- which happened, multiple times, and somehow, I didn't notice the large 'thud' behind me after I was ran into by a group of panic driven freshmen.

I finally made it to my safe haven, the library- calm and never really full of people. I sat my stuff down and greeted Mrs.Delilah, the librarian, as I sunk down into a bean bag and grabbed the first book I saw from behind me.

My head shot up as the intercom spoke, bringing me back to reality. "Joseph Mazzello to the office, please." I raised my eyebrows in question. Why did they need me in the office? I set the book down on the bean bag and headed to the front of the school.

"Hi, you called for me?" I asked Ms.Austin, the front office lady, as I walked up to the desk. "Oh, yes," she replied, reaching for something under her desk. "Here, someone turned this in, said it was somewhere in the hall." She slid my science text book over to me. Shit. I mean, as long as they didn't look inside, I was fine, right? Besides- they wouldn't even know I was the one who drew the hearts.

I reached for the book and thanked her as I began shoving it into the back of my bag- until a note fell out. I curiously picked it up and read it. "Joe, please meet me by the lounge after school. -H" Who's H? I pondered. I shrugged it off and added a mental reminder to do so.

I headed back to the library and continued reading my book, but soon after, the bell rang. I frowned slightly as I put it away, it was a good book, after all. I remembered that I had to meet H by the lounge, so I headed there. After finally reaching the lounge, I inhaled sharply as I figured out who H was. Ben. He'd used his last initial- a clever attempt to keep from scaring me off.

I tried my best to slowly back away, but he'd noticed me too quickly. "Joe?" He questioned, forcing me to come out of hiding. "Hm? Who's Joe?" I tried to come off as a stranger, besides- how would he know what I looked like? I was a grade below him, so it's not like he'd ever seen me around.

He laughed before speaking again. "It's not like I haven't seen you around, silly." I think I'm gonna be sick. "Oh, yeah, right- sorry." I fumbled with my words, finding it difficult to speak in front of him. "Don't be," he smiled. Wow. His smile was adorable. "Oh, ok." I answered, nervously smiling back. Oh ok? Really? I shook my head mentally.

"Erm- about the textbook, I opened it to see if it was anyone's I knew, and-" "Yeah, I know...sorry about that." I fiddled with my hoodie strings nervously. I just wanted to run into my room and cry.

"No, don't be sorry, it was nice to see my name surrounded by some hearts for once." His response caught me by surprise. "W-wha- huh?" I muttered, not sure what to say to that.

"Yeah, erm," he bit his lip nervously, walking a bit closer to me. "would you want to grab coffee before school tomorrow?" He questioned hopefully. HUH? I tilted my head in confusion. "Uhm- yeah, sure," I started, trying to contain the growing smile on my face. "That'd be nice." I finished, smiling brightly, giving up.

He smiled back at me relieved. "Great, here, so you can reach me." He handed me a note of paper containing his number. Ben Hardy gave me his number. What the he- I took the note and quickly added him into my contacts.

"I'll text you about it later." He said. "Ok, cool." I smiled, still not knowing if this was real or not.

"Well, I've got to go. See you there." He spoke, picking his backpack off of the floor and equipping it. "Bye," and then he gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. Wow. What a flirt. I was about to faint right at that moment. I put a hand over my cheek as he walked off. I stood there in complete shock for a solid minute before heading out of the building myself.

ahh I was actually kinda proud of this one ee ; should I post a continuation of this / them on the coffee date? Lemme know :)

x