↠ afraid of the dark

Prompt by miki-saur! Thank you for helping me with my writers block lol~
Also! I will likely be skipping around from third person to first person so sorry aha

I finished laying out the blanket and pillows on our lawn and looked up at the sky, admiring the beautiful stars that it held in it. The cold breeze ruffled my hair a bit as I walked inside to grab Joe.

"C'mon, everything's set!" I smiled at him, grabbing his hand and pulling it gently. In my excitement, I didn't notice his nervousness as I tugged on his hand. Tonight was a particularly clear night, which is pretty rare in the city.

He trudged behind me as I led him out to our small, but relatively well kept back yard, closing the door behind us. "W-wow, you really did all this?" He looked down at the cozy make-shift bed laid out on the grass. "It's not much, but I hope it's okay." I replied.

We rushed over to the warmth of the blankets and sat under the stars. I noticed how Joe'd cocooned himself inside a blanket, covering his entire body. "Cold?" I questioned with a slight giggle. "Y-Yeah," he replied, but there was an odd tone to his word.

"And that one over there is the Little Dipper, see it? Look how cute it is with its little handle..." I trailed off, oblivious to my boyfriend's shaking body, until I finally looked over at him. "Hey, what's wrong?" I could tell he was more than just cold. "N-nothing," he replied, until an owl hoo-ed and made him jump a bit.

"You're afraid of the dark-" I stated knowingly. "What? N-no, of course not," he murmured in an embarrassed tone. "Hey, I'm not going to make fun of you if you are, silly." I reassured him, trying to calm him down.

"W-well, maybe, just a little bit." He admitted with a sigh. I smiled at him, motioning for him to lie down as I did. I pulled him close to me so his head lay on my chest. It had always calmed me down when I did that, so I figured it might work for him.

"Just listen to my heartbeat and look at the stars," I whispered. "Those little dots are burning, bright spheres of energy, light years away." He seemed to have calm down a bit.

"I'm here, nothings gonna hurt you, I promise." I murmured before gently laying a kiss on his head. I watched as his eyes grew sleepier and sleepier as he recognized the calmness of the dark night.

I smiled at him as he slept, all cuddled up in blankets, warm and cozy. "I love you," I whispered, before dozing off to join him in sleep.

a/n ok ok this was short yes but I just went to a friend's gymnastics meet for like 6 hours and I have school tomorrow so I'm mega tired. Let me know what y'all though aha

x