Chapter Six

Suddenly a high pitched shriek pierced the air, closely followed by another and another until every teenager in the mall was screaming their heads off. I winced and took my place at the table. Our band's manager had set up an autograph signing at the local Hot Topic in hopes that it would bring more of a crowd to the show tomorrow night.

I grabbed the sharpie laying next to my right hand and removed the cap. Looking up at all of the fans filled my heart with glee and my head with a migraine. They acted like we were gods walking on the soil, or in this case cheap plastic flooring, that they had once stood on.

Someone nudged my elbow and I looked up to see Ricky smirking at me. I didn't rememeber him taking the chair next to me so I sat for a moment confused.

He leaned into me so he could talk into my ear. "What? Suddenly develop a staring problem?"

I looked up to see Chris staring at me and immediately any thoughts I had of talking with Ricky evacuated my head. "It's nothing. Never mind." I whispered back. But that wasn't a lie. I was staring at him for no reason. From here I could smell the crisp strawberry of his shampoo, the spiciness of his aftershave, and the cool mint of his toothpaste. For the first time in months I felt like I was at home, a home that could never again be called as my own.

I straightened up in the chair and waited as a dyed hair, overly pierced Hot Topic minion pulled back the rope that divided us from them. Just from looking at the crowd my wrist hurt, I couldn't imagine how horrible it would be for the guys tonight at the show.

A little girl looked up at me from the other side of the table. Her naturally red hair was up in pig tails and she was clasping an overly stuffed squid to her side.

"Hi, what's your name doll?" I asked.

She looked up at me excitedly as her mother lifted her up so she could see clearly. "My name is Leah! I'm six!" She held out her hands so six digits were showing. "When I grow up I want to be just like you Snow."

I smiled. These were the moments I loved, knowing that a parent and their child bonded over something I helped create. I looked at her mom. "Mind if I hold her for a second?"

Her mom all to eagerly obliged. I brought the girl onto my lap and sat her facing Ricky. "But you see Leah, one day I hope to be just like you."

She looked up at me surprised and asked the only question that a girl her age would know. "Why?"

"Because you're perfect just the way you are." I tickled her sides.

She lifted her small head next to my ear. "Who's that guy next to you?"

I laughed and pointed at Ricky. "That's a guy in a band that is touring with us. Do you want to meet him?"

She hid her head in my hair and violently shook her head no.

Again I grinned. Ricky really was good at scaring small children. "Here look at me Leah." I brought my ring finger to Ricky's cheek and poked it. He turned to me looking somewhat annoyed. "See he isn't that scary." I leaned my head and pretended to whisper, keeping my voice just loud enough for Ricky to hear. "But you see, that scary vampire thing is all an act, he's really just a giant teddy bear."

Leah's small hand went up to Ricky's face and she giggled as she began to poke him.

I grinned and somehow caught her attention. "See he isn't that bad, now is he?"

She shook her head no. "That's 'cause he likes you."

I felt my cheeks flush and suddenly her mom lifted her from my arms seeming embarrassed. "I'm sorry, she does this a lot." She turned to her daughter. "Now say goodbye to Snow."