~Chapter 10~

Heart aches

-

-

"Shh.. It's okay, he's not here"

I'm in front of Cyrus, trying to comfort him as much as I can. He can't stop crying, he hasn't said a word until the last time I heard him yell. He can't even look at me in the eyes.

I'm not nice. I know I'm not nice, I don't know how to make people feel better because I'm usually the one making them feel like shit.

I hesitantly reach my hand over to his cheek, and try to wipe away his tears as much as I can, but every time I do he always hesitates or, starts crying more.

I don't know what the fuck this boys doing to me.

He sobs quietly and sniffles, moving his head a little ... I can really see all the small bruises littered across his neck. Reed can't keep his dirty fucking hands to himself. I move my thumb across his cheek and sees what seems like a punch mark,

"Did he do that to you?" I asked, only to get a small head shake from Cyrus, so he didn't.

"..my girlfriend- believed the rumours. So she.. Well-.." Cyrus choked out, he finally starts to calm down, but he's shivering vigorously like a puppy.

I had to help him with his clothes, since he could barely even breathe at this point from being so traumatized. He still won't look at me at all, and I don't know why but it kinda hurts..

I finally put his jacket over his shoulders and put his hat on his head. "Do you want to talk about it?.." I asked quietly, I'm obviously not just going to start scaring him, but this was harder than it looked. I didn't get a response, I sighed in defeat before an idea popped into my head.

"..Do you wanna.. go to the swings?" I asked, a hint of excitement in my voice to try and make him feel better. He was quick to nod, he grabbed onto the rims of his jacket and held them close, almost like he's trying to hide.

He looked so fragile at this point. if I do something wrong he'll break.

He scooted up closer to me and started walking, causing me to follow him out of the gyms back doors. He was still all red from crying, and his tears dried on his cheeks.

He still hasn't made any eye contact with me, he looks deep in thought, and I hope they're not terrible ones, I really hope not. I want him to be okay-

I do.

What the fuck is happening to me!?

-

-

The kids laughs of joy spread around the whole playground. It was cold today, so the sun was setting pretty early. I noticed it from the reflection in Cyrus' brown almost doll-like eyes, the pink and orange colours blended in with the sun like a giant painting

He was staring up in awe, the chains of the swing squeaking back and forth with him. The first time I saw him here, I've noticed something..

He never swings high,
wow TJ what a fucking weird thing to notice.

I mean.. he told me he would come here when he feels bad about himself, but he doesn't look any better

I quickly stop swinging, making the sand fly up everywhere. Cyrus turned around to see why I stopped, finally getting out of that daze he was in. I smiled at him before stepping away from the swing seat.

"W- Wait where.. are you going?-.." Cyrus spoke up, a small frown appearing on his face. I didn't answer him, instead I walked up behind him swiftly and grabbed his swing chains.

"Nowhere. I'm just trying to make you feel better" I respond, Cyrus was about to question me, but it was quickly interrupted by him squealing. I started pushing him gently on his back so he can go higher. After a few seconds, I finally heard him start laughing a little.

what a relief..

"H- Holy shit!" Cyrus exclaims, now actually laughing out loud. He kicked his legs forwards and closed his eyes, actually enjoying himself. "TJ I don't- Swing high!"

I push him a little bit higher, just enough so I can duck and run under. "Underdog!" I yell out, running under him while he swings up.

Cyrus squeals once again, his eyes were closed shut, but his bright smile was still on his face. "You fucking scared me TJ!" Cyrus exclaimed, looking over at me. He's finally smiling again, laughing, having fun.

"TJ? Hello?" Cyrus says, snapping me out of my daze. I realize his cheeks are flushed red, and he was smiling again.

"Do you want another one?" I joked, receiving a quick head shake from Cyrus.

"No no no no way!" Cyrus exclaimed, making me pout. "Then, jump down!"

Cyrus' brown eyes widen even more than they already are, "What! Are you fucking crazy-" He yelled as if I couldn't hear him, he looked down it looks like he almost went two shades lighter.

"Just jump!"

"No I can't-"

"Don't tell yourself what you can't do, I'll catch you!"

Cyrus' breath hitched, he looked down and saw how high up he was. It honestly wasn't even that high up, but I can tell he was scared. I opened my arms up, to try and reassure him that everything was gonna be okay. "Come on, I'm right here"

He hesitated for a few seconds, and before I knew it, he jumped down. He was so close to landing it, but he ended up tripping over his foot and falling forwards, he screeched a little in fear, and he tumbled.

But not on the floor.

Cyrus' arms were wrapped around me for dear life, I grabbed onto him to make sure he doesn't fall and sprain his ankle or something, he's in enough pain anyways. Physically and mentally. He inhaled sharply and held his breath, staying as still as a doll.

It's weird-

what's happening to me, i don't like this feeling.

i don't wanna let go.

Cyrus finally stood up, making me feel quite disappointed, he was obviously red but I could see he was trying to hide it. He really isn't good at hiding things, even if I couldn't see his face I can feel his heart almost beating out of his chest. "I'm never doing that again" He says, looking away and laughing quietly. "I should go-"

"Wait a second-" I interrupted him, remembering what I wanted to do all day. Cyrus turned to me, obviously confused. So, I gave him the absence excuse sheet, signed.

His face lit up quickly, he opened it up from the insane folding I did, and he saw that I signed it. And, it made me feel like a good person. Like I don't mess everything up all the time. Like I'm not an asshole who doesn't have a heart once so ever.

Like, I can love and care for someone.

"I hope I made you feel better, Underdog." I said, walking away without another word.

-

-