THE BEST YOU'VE GOT

Ruby’s P.O.V.

If I find out that’s him, I don’t know who will survive.

I wondered if I could believe my eyes as I parked Stone’s car on the street and watched a male figure walk away from our building, his face hidden by the shadows.  It looked an awful lot like Jason, someone whose size and shape I have been on the lookout for ever since the day that selfish asshole left Izzy.  There was no way I could make a scene right now—Stone came back to the apartment with me to hang out.  I couldn’t go ape shit in front of him.  I didn’t want him to see my moody side quite this early in our relationship—after all, the girls did refer to me as The Ruby Monster from time to time.  I tried to swallow my suspicion as Stone and I made our way to the door, the shadowy figure disappearing around the corner.

When we got into the front room, Liz scrambled to pick up a magazine that was lying on the coffee table.  It was obvious from the creases in her forehead that she was thinking about something intently, and she wanted to make it seem like she was casually relaxing when we saw her.  She wasn’t quick enough, although I was sure Stone didn’t notice a thing.  I knew Liz too well…

“Hey you dorks,” she looked up at us and said with a smile.  “Come to keep me company?”  She was a terrible faker.

“Yeah, you know, I was getting bored with this one,” Stone joked at my expense before I could say anything I might have regretted.  

“Oh, nice.  Very nice.  I didn’t bring him here, Lizard, I swear.  I just drove away and he started running behind the car like a lost puppy,” I retorted, smirking at Stone.  

“Who am I kidding?  You’re the one for me, you cynical wench,” Stone said, drawing in and giving me a peck on the cheek.

“Hey!  Don’t make me regret letting you guys in here!” Liz laughed at our sarcasm-laden PDA.  “Well, Jamie’s jamming at Jeff’s right now, but she should be back soon with Jeff in tow.  Mike and Dave should be here any minute, and Iz and Eddie said they’d stop by a little later, too.  Full house tonight, ladies and gentlemen!”  She spoke candidly enough, but I could still detect something lingering around the edges of Liz’s mind when I looked at her.  

Just then, the front door swung open to reveal an indistinguishable mass of hats, jean jackets and smiling faces.  Everyone had apparently shown up at once—one by one they streamed through the door, placing various beer and wine in the kitchen, plopping down in seats, picking up instruments, telling jokes.  The apartment had gone from zero to max volume in about two seconds flat.

With all the distractions now surrounding us, I figured it would be a safe time to flash a look to Liz.  I glanced at her, still seated on the sofa, and raised my eyebrows while I mouthed “JASON” slowly and silently to her.  Her eyes bugged out of her head and she motioned to the mud room at the back of the apartment.  I made my way there, Liz following closely behind me, checking over her shoulder to make sure we weren’t followed.  She hurriedly shut the door once we reached the mud room and spoke immediately.

“Okay, what do you know?”

“What do you mean, what do I know?  I saw him walking down the block, dude.  Tell me that wasn’t him.  I know it was.  What was he even doing here?”  I felt my cheeks starting to match the color and temperature of my red hair.  This was a subject that invariably pissed me off.

“Okay, I guess I can’t keep this to myself then.  It was Jason and he came to give me some… information…”

“What could he possibly have to s—“

“Ruby, once we’re finished recording after the holidays, we’re slated to open for Thrash Can on their tour,” Liz said in a monotone near-whisper.  She was very careful not to raise her voice.  She just stared me in the eye and waited for my response.