7.

Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as a family. People pretend you're a bad person so they don't feel guilty about the things they did to you. Just take my uncle as an example.

Early this morning my father's younger brother came knocking on our doors. Umma was the one that went out to see what he wanted, she came back with puffy eyes to inform me that he's asking for me.

No matter how she denies it, I know he made her cry. He dared made my mom cry! As if what his brother did to her isn't enough. Even if she won't tell me I know that Alhaji Buhari's younger brothers blame her for his disappearance. Astagafurillah, but the things I want to do to those men.

I begrudgingly went to see what he wanted on Umma's insistence. I don't understand why she still respects them, because honestly, I've stopped seeing them as respectable people. The only reason I tolerate them is because of my grandparents— May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus, it's not their fault they ended up with those men as children.

Do you know what that man said to me? That he wants me to stop working because it is bringing 'shame' to their family. Having his niece working as a maid is spoiling his reputation as he wants to run for chairman in the upcoming election.

He had the nerves and gut to look me in the eye and— in his words 'command' me to stop working. This is the same man that hasn't—up till today sent anything in the name of help since his excuse of a brother left. He wasn't concerned about our wellbeing, our education, or anything, and today, he is asking me to stop earning my halal, my sweat, and blood.

I of course refused, who is he to tell me what to do? For four years, I have been taking care of my mother, my sister, and myself all alone. I was just sixteen years old then and my sister was just two years old. He must be high on something for him to think that I'll stop working. As far as I am concerned, I am not doing anything inappropriate or haram, and if my mother has given her consent and blessings then nobody and I repeat nobody can make me stop except if I decide otherwise.

We had a big and heated argument, he ended up leaving angrily not before saying 'If I was the one that had you as a daughter and your mother as a wife, I'd also leave. Times like this I don't blame my brother for freeing himself from people like you. Allah wadarai!'

And you call these type of people family? Being a family is determined more by behavior than blood.

When I told Umma, she said I should go and apologize as he is my uncle and he's still family. I hate it when people say 'they are still your family' just because someone is your family doesn't mean you have to keep them in your life if they are toxic. Blood means nothing sometimes. Don't let people guilt you into being in contact with someone who isn't good for your mental health. Toxic family members are like roaches, you need pest control to assist you with getting rid of them.

You are allowed to terminate your relationship with toxic family members. You are allowed to walk away from people who hurt you. You don't owe anyone an explanation for taking care of you.

I snatched my hijab and went out to go to my grandparents' house. I am not going to apologize to him, I am going to go inform Dada before Alhaji Sabi'u does. God knows what he'll tell him.

So here I am in a taxi on my way to Dada's. About five minutes later the taxi stopped, I paid the driver and hopped off. I saw some men in front of the house seated on mats. I greeted them first then went inside. As I was leaving, my ears overhead one of them talking.

"....she is Buhari's daughter, the one Sabi'u was talking about...ehn she does look like those strong-headed people. He should just get her married if he wants her to stop working... I am willing to add another one...." They laughed and high fived him.