Prologue

Prologue- Tickets

You look down at your torn ticket stub. You waited in line for hours. It seems as if everyone in Astley wants to see Les Cirque de Morts; The Circus of Deaths. Like you, they've heard tale of the mystery and murder that travels with the show.

You clutch the stub to your chest, keeping your eyes on the dirt ground, tracing the different footprints in your mind. There are so many. That of humans and tigers and horses and wolves and bears. Even a few exotic creatures like giraffes and leopards. You recognize them all.

"Please, everyone stay together." You stiffen as your eyes slowly raise to look directly into the face of the guide. You hate those three words. Everyone stay together. They're so constricting. They force the ones who thrive on solitude to join in with the one; enslaved by the whole

"Ten, please. I need ten of you. That's all I can take." You take a timid step backwards, but the guide takes hold of your elbow and tugs you along , "Come on. You'll enjoy it." Your mind wanders to all of the disgusting things that simple statement could mean. Falling back in the group, you follow at a distance through a set of iron gates. All around you see glimpses of amazing things. But you're bound by an oath to the group.

You're herded into a tent. It's got two rows of five chairs and a stage. Your eyes are drawn to the colorful lights. La Foire Aux Monstres they read. The Freak Show.