4

TRIGGER WARNING: there are mentions of abuse, rape, and kidnapping in this slam poem. please skip over this poem if any of these topics are triggering to you.

-

when will you understand that discrimination exists? when will you realize that as a black female in america i struggle everyday, everyday i am scared and have to look over my shoulder as i walk down the street because entitled white men and black men that do not have any desire to strive for success will look for me and when they find me they will hurt me, digging their nails into my skin and putting a gun to my head and a knife into my side warning me that if i tell anyone they will find me and hurt me again or possibly end my life.

when will you realize that as a female in america every time i walk outside there is a great risk for me to get raped or even kidnapped? when will you realize that everyone thinks that what i chose to put on my body to cover myself determines my consent? that if my clothing screams that i'm "asking for it" whoever is responsible will never receive the consequence they should.

when will you realize that there are thousands of fallen angels that had their personalities stolen by society because of abusive fathers, boyfriends, or brothers and sisters? when will you realize that i lost a friend.. because a man took her humanity and her virginity and wounded her so badly that she ended up in a hospital because she no longer had any desire to live. when will you realize that your selfishness ruins everyone? that no woman or man ever asks to be hurt, for their outlook on life to change into something negative.

we don't want to be scared, and we don't want to be silent so why do you always make us feel like we have to? why are you so quick to believe the other when they claim they're innocent, that they never even looked in the others direction? why don't you believe me when i tell you that he tied me to a bed and beat me because i was "asking too many questions" and "annoying him"?

if you would rather believe that women are always asking for it instead of supporting and comforting those who are brave enough to speak up, then you are what's wrong with the world.