Secret Heart

Gene groaned, rolling over in bed. His alarm beeped annoyingly. Groggy he wiped at his eyes and pushed himself up, swinging his legs over the edge of the futon mattress. Stumbling he stood, trudging through the mess of his room. Trudging into the hallway he slowly made his way to the bathroom, yawning and stretching, itching his belly just under the elastic band of his boxers. It was Sunday, the only day the shop was closed. He should have been sleeping in till mid-afternoon.

"Hey Tiffany." He waved at the green haired woman in the kitchen before slipping into the bathroom.

He loved his parents, and his sister, but the apartment was too cramped for him to move back in - plus all their rules. He needed his space to jam out, to be independent, to mess around and explore who he was. Life had become decidedly confusing for him as he aged and the fluidity of sexuality found more traction within himself. He spat in the sink, rinsing the toothpaste foam down the drain. Looking at his reflection he sighed, swinging open the cabinet door and popping a vitamin before washing his face, slapping on deodorant and pulling the long mop of dark hair back into a very sloppy bun.

He heard about how tacky it was, not the "fashion" thing, but he loved his long hair. He loved his undercut. He loved his rolls and pudgy stomach and his interest in all genders. The vessel didn't matter, he had found. The soul within the vessel drew him. Generally cheery people, light hearted, fun. He knew his parents didn't care - they loved their kids no matter what, seeing how Jim Pesto had reacted to Jimmy Jr had helped, as selfish as that sounded.

He knew he was lucky to have his family, he knew he was loved. But sometimes they were stifling.

He moved back into his bedroom, dressing in shorts and an off-brand band tee. Pulling his tennis shoes on he made his way outside and grabbed his motor bike, half pedaling and half driving his way over to Teddy's place.

"Hey Teddy!" He shouted, knocking on the older man's door.

"C-coming!" An unfamiliar voice stuttered, heavy footsteps getting louder as the door flew open. "O-o-o..." The kid closed his eyes taking a deep breath. "Hi-hi. You mu-mu-ust be-be Gene."

"Yep. And you'e Teddy's nephew...?"

"O-oh. Oh. I'm Math-th-th-" He closed his eyes tight, sighing heavily, "Matt."

"Nice to meet you Matt." Gene thrust out his hand, smiling broadly when the kid took it. "Let's show you around town then."

"Te-te-teddy i-i-" he sucked in a deep gasp of air, as though his brain had reset. "Teddy is on busin-ine-ine-ess alrea-a-ady."

"Awesome, my man." Gene looked back and flipped a thumbs up. "So why are you acting out?"

The kids face blanched and he withdrew, falling back as though he'd been slapped. His bright green eyes narrowed.

"Wha-at?"

~*~*~

Tina stretched languidly. She felt amazing. Last night had been... had... her mind stumbled over images of skin on skin, kissing, sheets tangling. Hesitantly she peeked around the room and sighed deeply. She was in her own room with her toy horses and horse posters. Giving a relieved chuckle she sat, frustrated at the way her sheets tangled around her limbs.

"One helluva dream." She muttered, embarrassed that her mind had run away with her after one pleasant date.

A groan beside Tina interrupted her. Slowly she turned to find Zeke asleep on her bedroom floor, in his T-Shirt and curled around the giant stuffed mouse bear she had won last night.