ΩChapter 8: Meanwhile...Ω

RUSSELL

Graydar shifted to her wolf form and grabbed the creepers' attention, making them follow her instead of us. Alysha took ahold of Chase's reins and did what the beta werewolf told us to do in case we ever got separated; find a safe place where we could stay until she finds us. 

We kept on going for the majority of the day until it started to rain. Then we started cantering around the woods, looking for a shelter. We finally came across an abandoned farm, which had a barn that was in a very nice state, so we went inside it and locked the doors, that way we would be more protected from the creeps.

Once we made sure that we were completely safe, we started a fire using wood and straw that we found inside the barn. Then we took out two cans of beans from one of the backpacks that Dubs was carrying and Alysha cooked them while I untacked the horses. I also prepared some food for them using the little livestock food that was left inside the barn and filled up a tub so they could drink some water. 

My sister and I ate in silence, listening to the rain pouring down outside the barn. We both knew that it was highly likely that the rain wiped away our trail, decreasing the probability of Graydar finding us anytime soon. That is if she's still alive...wait, we're talking about Graydar here, of course she's alive. She's the smartest and strongest girl I know.

The rain got heavier with every passing second and it was starting to get cold. All four horses laid down close to each other and fell asleep. Soon after, Alysha fell asleep too and I decided to try to do the same. There was no one watching out for creeps, but the barn was resistant enough to keep them outside the whole night, so after a few minutes of endless conversations with my own mind, sleep overcame me and I finally closed my eyes. 

–––Ω–––

The next day, Alysha and I had a conversation on what to do next. It was pretty obvious by now that the rain had wiped our trail away, given how hard it had fallen. And yes, Graydar has supernatural powers, but it was still very unlikely for her to find us, so we decided to go with Plan B. Graydar often spoke about wanting to go back to California and find the rest of the pack, so we determined that maybe we could try to do that and hope she thought of the same thing.

After making our decision, we packed up all our stuff and left the farm.

–––Ω–––

Once the sun started to set, we decided to find a place to set up cam. We found a clear spot in the woods that was surrounded by trees, and it was easy to tie ropes from tree to tree with empty cans hanging from them, that way we would be alerted if a creep was to get too close to us. We untacked the horses and tied them to a log that was laying on the floor, then we fed them with some of the food we had taken from the barn. Then we started a fire and cooked some beans...again. 

Alysha fell asleep a few minutes after we finished eating, so I decided to stay awake and watch out for creeps. Rain, Dubs and Roy laid down and fell asleep too, Chase was grazing. A while after, he raised his head and moved his ears forward in alert, staring into some trees. Some seconds passed and the stallion started to neigh nervously, "What is it, Chase?" I asked, slowly walking towards the chestnut, he let out another neigh and reared up. That's when I noticed the herd of creeps walking towards us. 

Alysha, Rain, Dubs and Roy woke up due to Chase's neighs. My sister and I decided to untie the horses and get on their backs, but they took off galloping before we could do anything, leaving us alone in the middle of the woods with a herd of creeps. Fighting them was our only option, so we grabbed our guns and started shooting them. We killed as many as we could...then I heard Alysha scream. I turned to look at her...just to see a creep taking a bite out of her neck. "No! Aly!" I screamed, and kept on killing the creeps with tears streaming down my face.

2 weeks later...

I jolted awake when I heard some voices outside the car I was sleeping in. I got off and saw a group of at least 10 people looking for food, clothes and weapons inside the cars that were left abandoned in the middle of the highway.

"Look what we have here." a man said, noticing me, "I'm Dave, who are you?" he asked, taking a few steps towards me. My heart started beating faster. "Umm...I'm Russell." I answered nervously, "Hey there, Russell. You alone?" another man asked, leaning against a car. I gulped and nodded. "Well, not anymore. Welcome to the group!" Dave said with a huge grin. I eyed the rest of his group wearily. 

It was pretty clear that they were not the nicest people around, but it was better than being alone, so I agreed to join their group. "I'm the leader, this is my best friend– Tony, my cousins Elliot, Steve, Kent, Grayson and Caleb, and our friends Kenny, Zach, Randall and Lewis." Dave said, introducing me to the rest of the men. "There's more people back at our place, come on." Tony said, guiding me to a Jeep, which reminded me of Stiles'.

–––Ω–––

We arrived at a building in the middle of a small town and Dave introduced me to the rest of his group; Gavin, Wyatt, Mark, Logan, Harry, Edward, Benny, Lee, Lukas, Trevor, Lena, Harley, Charlotte, Cassidy, Helen, Kristine, Lindy, Cathryn, Liza, Nick, Kevin, Mia, Wallace, Adam, Phillip, Justin, Graham, Clement, Audrey, and some others. 

I decided to be careful and not trust them too much, but at least I wasn't alone anymore and didn't have to worry about creeps, food or water.