ΩChapter 7: ExplosionΩ

GRAYDAR

I woke up thanks to the smell of food that filled the building. I smiled, realizing that I had actually slept 8 hours straight without having to worry about walkers for the first time in at least two months. 

I got off the bed and went to the bathroom so I could change my PJs to normal clothes. I put on black leggings, a black Heffron Drive t-shirt and a baby blue sweater. Then I brushed my wavey dark brown hair and left the room, closing the door behind me given that Daryl was still asleep. 

When I got to the kitchen, I saw that the majority of the group's members were already up and having breakfast. I sat down next to Kira, who was sitting next to Glenn. The asian boy was holding his head and moaning in pain. "Don't ever, ever, let me drink again." he said with closed eyes. The adults laughed and Carol handed him some aspirins to ease his headache. 

"Glennski, give me your hand." I said in a whisper, remembering something Scott had taught me. Glenn looked at me with confusion and stretched out his hand towards me, I grabbed it, hid both of our hands under the table, and started focusing on taking the pain away. I felt my veins get a bit swollen and I saw them change their color to black. Glenn's eyes widened and he immediately snatched his hand away. "What was that?" Kira asked, "Something my brother taught me." I replied with a shrug, "Wow, thank you. I don't think I need the aspirins anymore!" Glenn said happily. I smiled at him. 

A few minutes later, T-Dog and Dale put some bowls on the table. "Scrambled eggs and fruit for everyone!" the African-American said cheerily.  

We all ate in silence, except for Shane, Rick and Andrea, who were complaining about being hungover. 

"Shane, what happened to your nose? It's bruised." Rick asked his friend. I smirked to myself and tried not to laugh while I continued to eat, "I ran into a door last night, I was very drunk." the ex-cop lied, eyeing Lori and I, "I'd never seen you do anything like that." Rick said with an eyebrow raised. "Me either." Shane muttered in response. 

–––Ω–––

After breakfast, Jenner showed us what happens to a human being's brain when they get infected with the walker virus. It was fascinating and terrifying at the same time. He also said that animals are immune to the bite. A research centre in Japan had been trying to find the reason behind this, that way they could maybe find a cure, but China dropped a bomb on it before they had anything solid and America responded by dropping a bomb on Hong Kong. 

"Do you think you guys are immune too? Being half wolf and fox." Glenn asked Kira and I. We looked at each other and shrugged in response to the boy's question, "Maybe, it would be awesome." Kira said with a small smile, I nodded and smiled a bit as well, "But we should still be careful around walkers, just in case." the Kitsune added. 

"One last  question. That clock is counting backwards. What happens when it gets to zero?" Dale asked, pointing at a clock on one of the computers. Jenner stayed quiet and lowered his gaze, "Vi, what happens when the clock gets to zero?" Rick asked Jenner's improved version of Siri, "The fuel that powers the building will run out." Vi replied in a robotic female voice. The adults looked at each other with worry. 

T-Dog, Rick, Shane and Glenn then ran towards the basement to check on the fuel tanks, meanwhile, the rest of the group went to the bedrooms so we could pack our stuff in case we had to leave the building.  

I put everything inside my backpack and then laid on my back. Daryl came into the room seconds later, "You okay, kid?" he asked, sitting down next to me, "Yep." I answered with a sigh. Daryl nodded and got up so he could start packing his things.