Chapter 8

Detective William Baker walked into Little Miss Steaks.  There still had been no sign of Heaven Andrews, so he took it upon himself to try to track her down at her job.  He looked around the small diner.  The place was charming and laid back.  It was a little behind on the times.  The registers were old, and the jukebox in the corner played old 70s music.  William liked it though.  It reminded him of simpler times.

Miss April came out of the kitchen balancing multiple plates in her hand. "It's seat yourself hun.  I'll be with you in just a minute."

William didn't want to interrupt her work, so he took a seat at one of booths. 

Miss April walked over holding a pen and pad.  "Can I get you started off with something to drink?"

"No thank you."  William pulled out his badge. "I'm Detective William Baker.  I'm investigating a homicide that happened just down the street a couple of nights ago.  I'm trying to locate Heaven Andrews.  I was told she works here."

Miss April tucked her pen and pad into her apron.  "She does."   She reached out to shake William's hand.  "I'm April Williams. I own this place.   Heaven hasn't been to work in a couple of days.  I know she's been going through a difficult time ever since her friend was killed."

William took down some notes.  "Her father was murdered in their apartment two nights ago around midnight.  Do you know if she was working that day?"

April nodded her head. "I heard about that.  Yes, she was here that night.  Though, I couldn't' tell you what time she left."

William looked up and noticed a security camera.  "Does that work?"

April followed his eyes to the camera.  "Yeah it works.  I hardly ever watch the footage.  It's mainly just for security purposes in case anything happens."

"Do you mind if I take a look?"  William asked.

"Not at all.  Come on to the back."  April walked into the back office and William followed close behind.  He took a seat in front of the small television screen as April set the footage to the time that he needed. 

"That's Heaven right there." April said as she pointed her out.

William took a closer look at the girl and made a mental note of her appearance.  But there was someone else in the footage that the recognized.

He laughed a little to himself "I'll be damned."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris

———————————————————————
It's been a long couple of days.  I still couldn't process all the bullshit that had been going on.  How did I get here?  A simple job turned into a kidnapping.  It's been two days since I took Diamond.  I knew it was risky, but I had no choice but to bring her to my house until I found a better solution.   

The old me would have just killed her and went about my business as usual. But I didn't have the heart to do it. 

I sat in the chair watching her sleep.  I've kept her locked in my room for the past two days.  It seemed drastic.  But I couldn't risk her running and telling someone what happened.  I needed to keep her here until I figured out my next move.

As she slept, I couldn't help but admire her beauty. 

Since we've been here, she's seemed to calm down a little.  I think she's come to realize that if I was going to kill her, I would have done that by now. 

I still haven't told her my name.  Hell, we barely talk at all.  She asks for food and water, and to go to the bathroom.  Other than the sound of the tv, it's completely silent between us. 

I knew we would have to talk eventually.  I know she has questions, and I have some of my own. 

At that moment, the doorbell rang.  The sound woke Diamond, and I hesitated for a minute.  Not many people knew where I lived, and none of them just stop by unannounced.

"Stay in here.  Do not say anything."  I walked out of the room and locked the door behind me.   I had to change the locks so that I could lock it from the outside.

I walked to the door and looked out the peephole.   Fuck.

Chris opened the door and Detective William Baker stood there with a smirk on his face.  "What's up little bro.   Long time no see."