Chapter 7: That day, that night

Yellow people! :D In this chapter, you'll find out some things about Lily's past. I don't want to spoil it so read and tell me what you think! :3 Please again, tell me if I made mistakes etc.

~YourGuadianAngel ♥

_____________________________________________________________

That day, that night

“Don't ignore the past, but deal with it, on your own pace. Once you deal with it, you are free of it; … if you don't, the past will come back to haunt and keep coming back to haunt you.”

― Boris Kodjoe

I broke the silence as I announced the deal my brother and I came up with. “We’re in but he drops out if things get complicated.” I knew I was being annoying and bossy, but I didn’t care; it was either being hated or protect my brother—I chose the latter. Chris lightened up and did that ‘man hug’ thing to my brother, whilst Seth jumped to his feet and stuck his tongue out at his brother.

                “Ha, told you she’d say yes! I’m such a boss.” He stretched his hand out eagerly and waited. “Where’s my tenner?” Tyler mumbled as he took out the money from his wallet, his fingers rummaging through the stack of money it held. Damian snickered and, in fake patronising way, patted him on the back before placing his input into the conversation.

                “What changed your mind?” he asked light-heartedly, though inwardly I knew that he was suspicious about my sudden change of heart. And if I were him I’d feel the same. His eyes pierced through me, as if trying to crack a mystery open—an unsolvable enigma. “Never mind, all we have to do now is wait until tomorrow. Iris ‘said’ that she had some things to do.” Iris? After these words, the group dispersed, chatty and joyful, leaving me and Damian alone in the room.

I didn’t say anything and all I could hear was the vibrant orange fire crackling, a noise that usually was associated with comfort; but to me it was just a cruel reminder. For a few seconds, I stared at the way the flames danced endlessly like red-haired faeries; those malicious creatures of the forest.

                “What’s wrong?” he asked, threat definitely present in his alluring voice. Something about his expression made me step away; a serious and ruthless look on his face. He moved forward, the warm light from the fire enhancing the shadows under his eyes, as I slowly, yet subtly made my way to the door. “Is the Lily Turner afraid of me?” He let out a humourless laugh and continued, “Who am I kidding? You’re that girl aren’t you? The one from four years ago.”

I squinted my eyes, attempting to understand what he was saying. Then—click—it made perfect sense. Damian Lockhart; he knew—of course he did, he was there when it happened—but I wasn’t going to confess.

                “What’s with all the questions? And no, I am not scared of you.” I carefully avoided his question. Our eyes bored into each other’s, a cool mixture of blues and silver. I have to leave before things get too complicated, I thought; however, without even realising it, I was trapped, my back against the brick wall; cold like the person who was blocking my way.

He arched his eyebrow at my response, certainly not convinced by it. “Then why are you backing away?” A twisted smile appeared on his face. With that, his black hair and his black clothes, he looked like a fallen angel—a cruel, vindictive creature who was out to destroy me, like I had destroyed them.

                “Because you’re invading my personal bubble, duh.” I stubbornly crossed my arms, a gesture that made him chuckle. Not hard to see why; he was about a foot taller than me and clearly had an advantage I didn’t have—his friends. Compared to that, I had nothing; Ollie and the silly voice in my head were my only company. Nevertheless, admitting my weakness wasn’t going to help me and so, I kept quiet and waited for him to say something.