Chapter 8: Rainbow happiness

Rainbow happiness

“The priority of any addict is to anaesthetise the pain of living to ease the passage of day with some purchased relief.”

― Russell Brand

I rushed through the snake-like corridors, almost gliding onto the cold, glass-like floor, trying my best to forget about everything that happened. I wanted to forget about Greenwood, the letter, Damian—everything. Lost in my thoughts, I didn’t realise that Ollie was leaning against my bedroom door, his eyes focused on my neck. Concentrating on stopping my hands from shaking, I opened the door and threw myself on the big, comfy bed; the red satin covers forming silky waves due to the weight of my body.

                “What happened?” asked Ollie as he sat on the wooden floor. “Lily, I’m talking to you.”

I opened my eyes and lazily glanced in his direction; not willing to answer to his question, I hummed in response and rolled over in order to stand up. “I need my—”

                “Stop it!” he interrupted. I let out a gasp as his fist connected to the closest inanimate object, shattering it. “You can be so annoying at times it’s unreal! Seriously, I’m nice enough to put up with your trust issues but you just don’t open up. What is wrong with you? We keep fighting like two idiots but we can’t even solve this problem.” I squeezed my eyes shut, taking everything in patiently like I was supposed to. “Sometimes I think that it’s my fault and that I’m just a nuisance but in reality you’re your own burden.”

                He’s right. You are your own worst enemy my dear.

                “I know I am.” Although I looked at him when I answered, the person that stood there in front of me didn’t seem to be the same person I had grown up with. He was angry and fed up of being involved in his big sister’s mess. The usual boyish grin that was plastered across his face had been replaced by a reproachful expression that sent shivers running down my spine. “But right now I need my—”

                “Your what? Don’t tell me you’re still taking those things!” Disgust seemed to literally be dripping from his tongue; he had always been against me taking my beads of happiness. I stared down at my feet in shame and reluctantly nodded. Only he can make me act this way, I thought. “So you don’t mind being an empty shell for hours? Woah, I don’t understand you sis. I’d rather feel sad than I have to end up like that.

That did it. “Well I don’t and if you knew, you wouldn’t either. So just drop it okay?” I bumped into his shoulder on purpose as walked towards the dark wooden desk. “You don’t understand it’s just what they gave me,” I stated matter-of-factly whilst looking through the drawer. Once I finally found the small bottle that contained my multi-coloured medicine, I quickly took three and stuffed them in my mouth. The heavenly beads melted in my mouth—emitting their acidic goodness.

                “Spit them out. You need to eat first, otherwise you’ll just lose consciousness.” Ollie placed his index finger and his thumbs on both sides of my face, probably to have a closer look at my eyes and to force the pills out of my mouth. As the blissful substance slowly spread into my system, I felt weaker and it was almost like I was floating around. My brother’s face distorted and though I heard what he said about the eating part, I couldn’t seem to care about it; they were just meaningless words that sounded funny.

***

                “Stand up Jinx.” Ace’s voice didn’t hold any emotion whatsoever as he looked down at me. “Fight back!” he said as he hit me once again, making me cry out in pain. “Useless waste of space, do you even deserve to be alive?” I felt rage boiling inside of me and the more he insulted me, the more I want to punch him back but the pain was too much to handle—even for me.