Chapter 13: Wedding Cake

A/N: AHAHHAHA I WROTE IT YESS idk why im so excited but i stuck to a dealine so i guess thats worth celebrating ¿ 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anywho, here's the chap. It's long, and idk if the next chapter should be two, I'm toying with the idea. 

--

Draco waited. When he was sure that Harry had gone, he quietly got up from the table and stepped into the kitchen. He carefully selected the baking supplies he needed, setting them gently on the table. A bowl began to tumble from the shelf, and Draco used a silencing charm quickly in order to stop it from clattering. When the bowl finally stopped spinning on the counter, Draco exhaled heavily. He laid everything out on the counter and began to bake silently. He carefully flipped through Mrs. Weasley's notes in her baking journal, noticing what she had cut out of the recipe.

Soon, he was covered in flour and raspberry filling, working hard to make the batter. He whisked the eggs furiously and used a mortar and pestle on the raspberries as if there was no tomorrow. Two failed cakes were cooling on the counter, and Draco glanced nervously at the clock, remembering he needed some sleep and time to clean up everything. Draco stirred the batter quickly. Too thick. He added a splash of milk, mixed it in, and groaned frustratedly when it didn't help. The batter resembled bread dough more than anything else.

Upset, he marched back over to Mrs. Weasley's notes, re-reading them several times as sleep once more sank its claws into his eyes. He shook his head, trying to clear his mind, sliding into a seat to rest his weary feet. Soon, his eyes drooped and his cheek landed softly on Mrs. Weasley's notes as Draco drifted off to sleep.

-

When Draco awoke, he could hear Ms. Weasley moving around behind him, conversing in low tones with Hermione. He couldn't make out the words over the sounds of the dishes washing themselves, clinking softly in the sink, he could just make out the soothing tones of their voices. Sun was streaming through the window, warming his face. He could hear birds outside, twittering rather loudly. He blinked and lifted his head, rubbing his bleary eyes.

"Morning, beautiful," Hermione quipped. Draco grumbled in response, catching sight of himself in a pan hanging to dry. His hair was mussed up, and his cheek was red from where it had been pressed against the notebook while he slept. He patted down his hair and stood, stretching deeply.

"Good morning, Mrs. Weasley," he said, as she passed by him, taking a pan to the oven. "Good morning," she responded. "Thought I'd get up early and bake some bread." Draco sniffed deeply. "Smells good," he commented, before turning to the other Mrs. Weasley.

"Good morning, Hermione," he said. "You look lovely on this fine morning," he said sarcastically, even though she did look nice. She laughed, and Draco stifled a yawn.

"Oh!" He remembered. "Mrs. Weasley, I tried the cake again last night. It... it didn't collapse, but it didn't cook either. I think we need to add another egg. I added to your notes; I hope you don't mind."

Mrs. Weasley set a plate of strawberries and a cup of juice in front of him as he spoke. "Oh no dear, never you fret. I think you're right, something needs to be added to the batter. I tried an egg, though, it helped a bit, but didn't make that big of a difference. I'm stumped. I don't know what needs to change. It's driving me bonkers."

"Hm," said Draco pensively, popping a strawberry into his mouth. Suddenly, inspiration struck him. "Hermione, don't Muggles have a subject taught in schools that teaches you about baking?" Hermione looked confused. "Erm, no? There's a school you can go to after where you can specialize in things [college/university], and you can take a course to become a cook. But those books are very complex."