Chapter 8: "You've been redeemed!"

OK SO EARLIER I THOUGHT MY STORY WAS LOSING STEAM BUT IM #14 IN HERMIONE AHH OMG IK ITS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL BUT STILL TYSM

--

 Draco jolted awake, heart pounding. For a moment, he didn't know what was happening, and then became aware of a clattering noise downstairs. Adrenaline pumping, he grabbed his wand and slid out of the bed, cautiously walking to the top of the stairs. He peeked around the banister, and saw Hermione righting chairs, muttering to herself. Clearly she had apparated in, and knocked over furniture in her excitement.

Draco realized he was in no danger and tucked his wand into his robes. "Hermione?" he called out. She spun suddenly, a huge smile nearly breaking her face in two.

"You're been redeemed!" she squealed, running up the stairs to hug Draco tightly. "Oof," he laughed, as she squeezed him happily. She looked up at him, still beaming, and spoke breathlessly.

"Draco I don't know how you did it, but George came down from his room last night and ate dinner with us, oh it was amazing Draco, and he vouched for you!! He said that you were a good person and the reason he was downstairs and- oh Draco, it's wonderful! Mrs. Weasley was so happy and so was Mr. Weasley and now you are being invited to stay at the Burrow!" Hermione finished, cheeks pink, her arms still around him.

A wave of emotion washed over him, and he hugged her tightly, tearing up with happiness. How could he have been so close to the end last night? The future seemed so bright.

Hermione patted him on the back. "There there," she said. "Come on, cheer up, you've been invited to a celebratory lunch at the Burrow today."

Draco pulled up, sniffling, and gave her a watery smile. "Thank you so much Hermione, thank you for everything," he said, before sprinting up the stairs to change. Behind him, Hermione hummed happily.