Chapter 11

Sunday around noon

Helana's Pov

"Helana! Tyler! Hurry up!" Char shouted at the bottom of the stairs.

I swear she always rushing somebody. I put on my black flip-flops snatched my phone, purse and head phones and met Char at the bottom of the steps with Tyler behind me.

"I call shotgun" Tyler claimed.

"So?, I rather be in the back." I told him following Char to her gray Toyota Prius.

I opened the back door behind the driver’s seat and got in. I strapped up in my seat belt and stretched out in the backseat. I placed my buds in my ear and started my music.

...

We pulled up into a Wal-mart parking space and exited the car. I still had my headphones, but no music playing.

I slumped on the back of a buggy and followed behind Char and Tyler. The three of us walk towards the meats and frozen foods. I watched Char place items in the basket.

"Momma can I get this?" Tyler asked holding up a box of pepperoni hot pockets.

"No" Char said dropping frozen vegetables into the basket.

"What about lucky charms?" he pleaded.

"Pizza rolls?"

"No"

"Oreos?"

"No"

"Chips?"

"No"

"Ice cream?"

"We have ice cream at home and lil boy leave me the hell alone. Don't ask for nothing else." Char spat.

I kinda wanted some hot pockets and oreos and lucky charms. I slipped away from the two and drifted down the ales. Letting my eyes wander at the sweet and delicious treats that sat on the shelves.

I spotted the Oreos and lifted up a double stuffed pack and strolled over to get a hand basket. I toss my Oreos inside and strolled along to the cereals. I picked up a box of luck charms and dropped it in my basket.

"Hey Helana!" a Voice startled me.

I spun around to face Juan. This was the first time I seen him since the shooting. His left arm was in a sling. I greeted him with a smile and wave.

"When I got back to school you weren't there, Shy and Tay told me that you was suspended."

"Ohh yeah I fought. How's your arm?" I said creating small talk.

"It's getting better. I'll be starting physical therapy tomorrow" he smiled.

"That's great, I'll see you when I go back to school Juan." I gave him a hug and we told our goodbyes.

I retrieved a box of hot pockets and met back up with Tyler & Char at the checkout. I went to a self-checkout and paid for my stuff and went out to the car.

I threw my bag and purse into the back seat and helped put the plastic bags into the trunk.

On the ride home I decided to text Lauren. I text her sometimes.

Bestfriendd: Hey what’s up?

Can I call you when I get home?

Bestfriendd: Of coursee.

When we got home I helped put the food away. I searched in a drawer and snatched up some masking tape and a black marker. I pulled off a piece and taped it onto my hot pocket box and wrote "Not For Tyler" on the tape and shoved them into the freezer.