45- "I'd do anything, if it means I get to call you mine."

How could it be that I was so dumb and so helpless that I let this happen? And I let myself believe it was true.

I threw the blankets off my legs and curled my knees to my chest. I dropped my face in my palms and pushed my finger back through my hair, a single year rolling down my cheek. I got out of bed and pushed open my shades, morning already? I looked out the window, aimlessly, until the sound of a skateboard caught my attention. I looked down to see Hayes in his driveway. I turned to my closet and pulled on black skinny jeans, a white v-neck and pulled my Uggs on.

In all honesty, I couldn't be happier about it finally being cold outside.

I combed my hair and brushed my teeth before telling my grandparents I was going over to Taylor's house. I walked across the street, to Hayes, with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Hey beautiful." Hayes smiled, picking up his skateboard.

"Can we go somewhere?" I said when I noticed the car key hanging out of his pocket.

"Sure, where?" he said, pulling the keys out.

"Just out."

He shrugged and began to walk to his car. He extended his arm and grabbed the door handle, "Can I drive?" I stopped him from opening the door.

"You don't have your license."

"I have my permit."

"Sam-"

"I'm a good driver! Please just let me."

He thought for a minute before tossing me the keys. I sat in the driver seat and started the engine. I drove out of the neighborhood and took a right.

•••HAYES POV••

"Where we going?" I asked Sam after a few silent minutes.

She didn't give me an answer so I asked again, still no answer. "Sam, where are we going?"

"Stop! You'll see! Just wait." She snapped at me.

"Hey," I put my hand on her knee when we stopped at a red light, "is everything ok?"

"... I don't know." Sam whispered.

I removed my hand when she started driving again.

Sam pulled up to a small private lake, with locked gates in front of us. She got out, pulling a set of keys from her jacket pocket. She unlocked the gates and opened them before getting back in the car and driving in. She parked in a the parking lot and got out, slamming the door behind her.

Sam didn't wait for me, she just walked to the small dock. When I caught up to her, on the end of the dock, she sat down and curled her knees to her chest, resting her chin on them.

I stood next to her, looking down. She looked up at me, "My dad owns this place."

I didn't question why she had a key when she didn't even talk to her dad, I just sat down next to her.

Sam took in a long, deep, breath with a heavy sigh.

Something was bothering her, I could tell. "What is it?"

Sam looked at me, never had I ever seen her eyes look the way they did. So many emotions. She bit her lip, but not in the way she normally did to hold back a smile, this time it was to hold back a frown or her tears. Her eyes became glassy, I turned my body to face her. Sam opened her mouth and stuttered out sounds but no words. She was choked up. A single tear managed down her cheek. I extended my arms around her, pulling her to my chest, that's when she began to sob.