Chapter 7

Oh so he knew what he was, Felicia thought as she let go of his hand. She gave him a wry smile as she punched Dean’s number into her phone, pressing the ‘call’ button. As the dial tone continued, Felicia told Logan that they were going to meet Dean at the school’s backyard. The backyard was hardly touched. It was a beautiful place, but the school population practically lives on the field and the front yard.

“Felicia? I just got off class, what do you want?” She heard Dean’s voice on the other side of the line. Felicia could imagine the dark haired boy rolling his eyes. “Remember our discussion at lunch?” She asked, referring to the search of the people who had powers, just like them. “Yeah, what about it?” Dean replied, curiosity obvious in his voice. “I just found a guy. Meet us at the backyard,” Felicia spoke before hanging up on him, without listening to his reply. She didn’t want to say too much, just in case someone overheard her.

Felicia dragged Logan across the hallway, towards the backyard, attracting curious gazes from students that passed by. The question was clear in their eyes. What did this tomboy wanted from this hot blonde guy? Pushing open the door that led them to the backyard, she spotted a brown mop of hair sitting under the tree, shading himself from the sunlight. “Dean!” She called out, waving her arms as she jogged towards him, leaving Logan to trail after her.

Dean lifted his gaze from the grass and smiled. “Hey,” He was about to stand up and head into the sunlight but he paused and sat back down. Looking at Dean’s action, Felicia raised an eyebrow, silently questioning it. He let out a soft sigh. “Remember that I absorb light to convert it into energy? I can’t control it. I was under the sun and I felt like I was getting burnt by fire from the inside before it wore off after running laps in the indoor stadium. Apparently, the light energy can be converted into other forms of energy as well. I just need to learn how to control it which isn’t very easy,” He explained before his eyes landed on the blonde standing behind Felicia. Dean nodded as an acknowledgement before holding out a hand. “Dean Kingsley,” He introduced. Logan shook his hand firmly, introducing himself as well. Both blondes joined Dean under the tree.

“Since you’ve already heard me, it’s pretty obvious I can absorb light energy and convert it into other forms of energy. I can shoot energy out of my palms and I can probably produce heat too. Maybe I can even absorb light and turn it into chemical energy when I’m tired,” Dean shrugged lightly. “How about you?” He asked. Logan gave a soft chuckle as he dusted a piece of grass off his lap. “I found out about my power when I was 10. My mom has it too. I can create force fields and keep unwanted people out, it can also make the people in the force field invisible if I concentrate hard enough. It’s not good in battle but I guess it’s a form of strong defence as it won’t wear off as long as my mind is awake.” Logan shared with a light hearted look in his eyes.

“Cool,” Felicia mumbled as she started to pluck out the grass. “Your turn,” Logan nudged her side. “I can control metal, not sure if I can control all of them though.” She shrugged. Dean gave her a curious look. “What do you mean, all of them?” He asked. “Well, there are different types of metals. If you categorize them, it’ll be magnetic and non-magnetic metals. I feel a sense of connection with certain metals, but with some metals like aluminium, I feel nothing at all. I guess the magnetism affects the connection I have with the metals. Even though I feel the connection, I still don’t have enough control over them to move them or whatsoever.” Felicia explained, continuing to pluck out the grass until Dean slapped her hand.

“So Logan,” Dean changed the topic slightly. “There’s this guy whom exploded because he couldn’t control his power. He killed a gangster and himself, but apparently, there weren’t any traces. However, he attracted a group of scientists which go by the name of ‘Dawn’,” He paused, taking a short breath before continuing. “It’s a rumour, but we are guessing that the scientists are running human experiments in order to discover the secret of our powers. Be it true or fake, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. So, Felicia and I have started our hunt to find people just like us, to build our own army, to ensure the survival of our own kind.” Dean explained. Logan’s eyes held a heavy expression but he nodded nonetheless. “I guess the only comfort we can find is the strength in numbers,” He agreed. Dean nodded too. Felicia rolled her eyes, feeling slightly left out. “You already know how we can recognise our own kind,” She spoke, jutting her chin towards the intricate spiral that marked each of their right wrists.