Decrepit

Chapter 26: Decrepit

Decrepit

 de·​crep·​it | \ di-ˈkre-pət \Definition of decrepit:

1: wasted and weakened by or as if by the of old age

2a: impaired by use or wear

b: fallen into ruin or disrepair

I was standing outside of Chip's door. The gray of it stared back at me. I felt it in my whole body: my chest, my head, my shaking limbs. I knocked on it quickly and I had to stop myself from pounding against it. I wanted to ball my hands into fists.

I had left the dance with Low Shoulder echoing in my head. His voice, his meaning, the Bowie knife's blade playing in my head just as the music had. It was deafening.

They hadn't even known I was there, but it wasn't like that mattered.

There was a pause and I could hear someone on the other side, as though they were debating on opening it. I swallowed thickly and stood there. I couldn't move.

But all I wanted to do was move.

I braced my palm against the frame and felt the pounding in my chest like a war drum.

When the door opened slowly, eventually, I smiled at the sight that I was met by. It was a smile that pulled on my lips instantly as though it was second nature. I couldn't help it.

There was Emma, looking sleepy eyed and secretly thrilled all at once. She knew she wasn't supposed to open the door without a grown up. The world was a dangerous place, after all.

She had a bright orange pop circle in her mouth, her hand grasping the stick.

"Hey, Emma, is Chipper home?" I asked quickly and leaned over slightly. She blinked up at me, a flutter of her small black eye lashes, and popped the Popsicle out of her mouth. A grin spread on her face and she lurched towards me, wrapping her arms suddenly around my legs.

"Ethan, you're here!" She cried out.

"Emma, where's Chip?" I said softly but quickly.

"Emma!" Came a deep voice and I could hear quick footsteps coming, "What the hell did I say about opening the door, huh?"

I was met by Mr. Dove. He froze, looking as though he had just woken up from a long nap, and I gave him a small smile. He still had his mechanic suit on, a dull gray, and I stared at it. Emma was still clinging to my legs, and I pulled at her lightly until she let go. She peered up at me, beaming.

"Ethan, what are you doing here? I thought Chip said you were sick?" He asked. So, that's the excuse she made for her and I not going to the dance.

"I'm better. Where is she?" I said without pause. I didn't have time for this. I hoped I didn't sound too panicked, but I felt the words catch in my throat, threatening to suffocate me. I let out a breath as he eyed me for a moment. He then let out a sigh.

"I think she went out for a walk?" He stated, even though the way he said it made it sound like a question. He looked down at Emma who was taking a bite out of her Popsicle, the bright orange staining her teeth.