Call

Chapter 35: Call

Call

\ ˈkȯl \Definition of call

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a: to speak in a loud distinct voice so as to be heard at a distance

b: to make a request or demand

of an animal : to utter a characteristic note or cry

d: to get or try to get into communication by telephone

e: to make a demand in card games (as for a particular card or for a show of hands)2: to make a brief visit

"I said 6:00, not 5:55. Now, that is early-"

"I am not early-" I stuttered for a moment. That was the first thing that crossed my mind as my hand tightened around the hardness of the phone's base. His voice was as clear as day.

It was argumentative and deep and throaty and just Grayson.

"Um, yeah you are," he said, and I leaned back on the wooden seat, my back hitting the painted brick wall. The room suddenly felt as though it was closing in on me, suffocating my senses. I felt pushed up against the wall, trapped.

I hadn't heard that voice in three weeks.

I hadn't wanted to hear that voice in three weeks.

"Are you there? Earth to Ethan," he mumbled. If we were in his Jeep together, he'd click his fingers in front of my face to try to get my attention again. I imagined it in my mind's eyes for a moment.

This was real.

No, it wasn't.

"Are you there, Needy?"

Oh, yes it was.

This was Grayson.

It was like we were twelve again under the heat of the sun, the playground equipment warm under careful touches. I opened my mouth and then closed it again.

"Grayson?" I repeated, and I felt my voice crack, "No, no this isn't real. You're dead," I said, and shook my head even though I knew he couldn't see the action.

There was a pause, if only for a second.

Then, he said, "Rude."

"Excuse me?"

"That's just rude," he stated, blatantly.

"This isn't happening."

"What does that mean?" He started, but I cut him off.

"I killed you-"

"Yeah, you went all Home Depot on my ass."

"No."

"I am not a box-"

"No."

"-and you really aren't cut out for using a box cutter."

"Shut up, you freaking monster," I felt myself practically growl.

"You shoved a pole through my body and then knifed me," he said, as though he was letting out a puff of air. Somewhere I thought I could hear the distinct sound of a large truck's deep horn. It was like he was standing off the edge of a busy highway. It sounded wet and fast.