Love

Chapter 32: Love 

Love

[luhv]

noun: a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.

a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

-sexual passion or desire.

verb (used with object): loved, lov·ing.

-to have love or affection for to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).

verb (used without object): loved, lov·ing.to have love or affection for another person; be in love.

"We used to talk like best friends
I remember that I guess I don't know what happened to us

You told me you would be there for me
Yeah, but you ain't really mean it did ya
Now you wanna jump ship
Leave me here alone
Well, I'm used to it
Everybody else did

You're the one that jumped in
Told me you had some feelins
Now you tryin' to tell me that is not true
I ain't gotta clue
Who I'm lookin' at right now, but I know the person that I'm lookin' at is not you

They say that you are who you hang with
Maybe that's the reason you been changin'
Maybe that's the reason why I'm feelin' like you're dangerous

I just wanna know 
When did you get so cold? 
What happened to your soul? 
Don't you see me?
I thought that we were close-"

_ "I Just Wanna Know" by NF

I am seven.

The whole house smells like vanilla and the sharp scent of cranberries. I am watching the warm wooden front door for him to come back inside. I see his shadow against the clear windows, his slow, careful movement. He's going back up on the latter, and then back down again. Outside the edge of the window I can see the brightness of the white lights-each individual and special-flicker on.

There's a cheer of self-proclamation right outside the wood of the front door. There's the turning of the brass knob and the door swings open slowly. I see gloved fingers, and then a gloved hand.

And he's there. His brown eyes, the color of a Minnesota frozen woods, meet mine. He smiles at me, and I let my fingers play with the wood of the last step that I am currently sitting on. I dig my nail into the wood, and it splinters upwards. I play with the splinter, and it plays with my nail bed, cutting into it slightly. I pick at it.

I smile up at him as he stamps his large brown boots onto the welcome rug right inside the door. The cold blows in with a few stray snowflakes. They drift to my bare feet and melt instantly as they hit the wood. I shiver in my bright green reindeer sweater and clasp my hands together, bringing them to my lap. The cold touches my bare face and I close my eyes for a moment.

The party in the living room is loud and happy. Someone is uncorking a bottle of wine. It makes a pop, and I turn my head to it for a moment. I open my eyes.

"Oh, Lisa," someone says with a laugh, "this organic jelly is splendid!"

"Thank you," comes Mom's voice.

I sit on the stairs and watch as he scrapes his feet against the mat.

He has a big brown coat on, and a red winter hat. It's kind of like the hat that Holden wears in J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.

"Well, I'm out!" Calls Dad and he glances down at me with a smile as though it's our secret. I know why he's going out, though, so it isn't a secret.