He never had a chance

His converse made small thumps as they padded against the bare earth. He could see town now. It had been five minutes since he left Gordie. But it seemed like longer to him. Especially with the cold wind blowing against his bare arms.
He didn't like leaving Gordie alone. He knew there were no wild animals big enough to cause any harm this close to town, and nobody in Aces gang new where their little spot was. But still he worried. He crossed the street with ease since it was too late for much traffic to be coming through. Even with the sun setting at 8:00, the summer nights were still freezing.
He reached the payphone and slid in a quarter. He dialed gordies land line and picked up the phone. In a few seconds he heard the ringing stop as a coice came on the other side. "Hello?" A woman's voice asked. "Hi Mrs. Lechance. I was just calling to see if it was okay if Gordon spent the night over at my house." "And who is this?" Chris froze. He was going to say his name, simple and easy. It was his name for Pete sake. "Vern." He blurted. "Okay. You boys be safe. Bye." And with that she hung up.
He knew it wasn't right, but the past 4 times he had made that call. He had used verns name. It wasn't that his mom wouldn't let him stay. She could care less if he was at Vern's house or down in the county jail. Not that Gordie would ever end up there.
He was just tired of the reaction he got. It was either "oh" or "Chris chambers?" He had tried to learn how to not care. How to not care what everyone thought. If they made there assumptions based on his behavior maybe he could. But no. Chris chambers was the son of the town drunk and the brother of Eyeball chambers. He never had a chance.