// Good Change //

You know that feeling when everything's normal, just the way things are or how you're used to something, but suddenly, as if someone snapped their fingers and things isn't the way they usually are? But you have zero idea what changed?

Something shifted. Deanna couldn't tell what shifted, but something did. She couldn't quite understand the change of the atmosphere everytime she is with Jema. They've been best friends for so long, since freshmen year in junior high, so she could tell that something changed. Deanna isn't complaining though, she thinks it's a good kind of change. Although something still shifted, between her and Jema, and it's suffocating on how she couldn't pin point what it was. She desperately needs to figure it out. And she has to know if Jema noticed it too.

She has a few hints, not really hints, but she notices things. Maybe, it was the way Jema looks at her these past few weeks, the way she holds her gaze towards Deanna for so long, longer than she should, or maybe it was just a part of it. Or how the older girl's smile lingers when they stare at each other, how she looks at Deanna like she's the only one she's seeing and the rest of the world just disappeared, or maybe it was the way Deanna wanted more, everytime Jema grazed her skin or touch her intentionally or not, and when they lost contact, her skin aching for more.

•••
Things got even weirder, like that time when Jema picked her up from her last subject, they were walking down the hall when someone called her name. It was Luigi, a classmate, cutting off the ladies' conversation, his smile grew when Deanna acknowledged his presence. That alone caused Jema to visibly became irritated, she rolled her eyes, Deanna noticing that. Jema only rolls her eyes subtly, what's wrong? Deanna thought, completely forgetting about the other person she was talking to. She quickly dismissed the guy, thinking he was the reason Jema's mood suddenly shifted.

Or that time when they were eating at a restaurant, telling each other stories. Jema was so focused on the other girl, so is Deanna on her. And that's how Deanna noticed the quick glances Jema is doing on her lips. She didn't know if the girl is doing it on purpose or not.

Something is changing.

•••

Finally, time had come. This was when Deanna figures out what's going on. They were walking from Jema's last class. The shorter girl reached for other's hand, lacing their fingers, like what they usually do, although the feeling isn't what it usually is. Something really did shift, and it made Deanna uncomfortable knowing she didn't know what it was— nevertheless, she'll know soon, later on. Something changed, like how Jema is tracing patterns on the back of Deanna's hand. When asked about her day, Jema realesed their interwined fingers, explaining, more like ranting, about something that happened earlier that day. Deanna noticed how adorable she is when she's upset.

Though, Jema is always adorable, upset or not, but Deanna wouldn't say that out loud.

Jema comically waved flung her arms arounf while telling the other girl about her day, how one of her groupmates in thesis forgot to print out their papers, and how they frantically and hurriedly went to a shop to print their 91-page work ten minutes before the class. It was cute how she would roll her eyes and sigh and groan in frustration while telling the story. Deanna would casually glance at the other girl's lips, and she was fully aware that she was doing it.

Then it clicked.

Deanna stopped walking, grabbed the other girls arm and pulled her in. Their lips touched. And for the first time, Deanna felt like she had it all figured out. It wasn't a long kiss, just a sweet one. When they pulled away, Deanna expected for the worse, maybe a slap across the face, she wasn't sure if she was right. Instead, when they parted, she slowly opened her eyes, and saw a smiling Jema Galanza. Her smile was so wide that she thought her face might tear apart.

"Bakit pinatagal mo pa, Deanna Wong?" she said, pulling the girl back in for a short, but chaste kiss.

Deanna was ecstatic, but hell she was scared.

"What's this, Jema?"

•••

    They decided to just go with it day by day. They didn't label whatever it is they have, but Deanna wanted to call Jema her girlfriend badly, though the other girl wanted to take things slow even though she has been waiting for the longest time for something to happen between them.