Chapter 8

Chapter 8 - Graduation.

Oh god! I was graduating! Fortunately or unfortunately I didn't have to make a speech. Only the valedictorian & 2 others had to make the speech. I was at home thinking about what it would be like to go up on the stage & receive the certificate. I was ready with my robe & all. Mom & dad were messing about who would take my picture when I go on stage. "Guys, come on. Stop fighting. It doesn't matter who takes my picture unless we plan on getting there on time. You guys don't have to come if you don't want to. I'll go by myself, it's only graduation." I told them. They stopped fighting & mom had tears in her eyes. "Mom, can we go already? Stop crying. I'm like a few hours away. You can visit me anytime. Just call. No surprises." I said & walked towards the door. They were behind me. Dad sat in the front to drive. Mom sat next to him. Lily & I were stuck at the back seats. "Okay. I'm ready. Can we go?" I said. "Yes ma'am." Dad said smiling & started the car. We reached school in a few minutes. I got out & walked towards the auditorium with my parents & sister following me. They found a seat. I went to sit up front with the other students. They soon started the program & the principal made a speech & all. They soon started calling the names. First two were people I didn't know & third was Pauline. She got to make a speech - it was pretty good. Then few minutes later, my name was called up & I went nervously to the stage. There was applause everywhere. The chief guest handed me my certificate & said "Congratulations!". I said "Thanks." & went off the stage. There were many others but I wasn't paying attention. I was simply sitting & then a few minutes later it all got over. All of us stood up & threw our caps in the air & screamed. We took pictures with everyone. Ended enmities. Everyone hugged everyone. I was actually over Alex by now. He was a good friend & I didn't want to lose it. I wanted to cherish the few moments of us being friends. That's it. I'd convinced myself that my family was more important & it was. In another 2 years, I'll be working & almost responsible for the family. I can't ever bring disgrace to my family. Ever. It's just not in me to do that. Betray the ones you love. But I didn't love Alex. It was just infatuation. I'd lost my way for a while but now I know my goal & what I've to travel towards. Boston. I had to go to Boston & get good grades & being pride to my family. That's what I need to do. That's my goal before getting a good job & getting a rich husband. (Wink). I hadn't seen Alex today & I was fine with it. It took me a while but I finally convinced myself that Alex wasn't right for me. At all. I smiled & went to my parents. They were all smiles, even Lily. "Congratulations Emily! We are all so proud of you!" Mom said & hugged me & dad just hugged me. Lily just said "Congratulations!". That's it. School was over. It was a feeling where it felt like I was leaving a part of my life here & it didn't hurt. Much.

I was fine. It felt right. And then we left. I was leaving in Tuesday. Didn't have much time. I had to go & pack my stuff. We reached home in a few minutes. The car was silent today. It usually wasn't. Hmm. Whatever. I was happy & that's what mattered. I went in, took my shoes off & rushed to my room. I freshened up, changed & started packing. I took my clothes off the hangers & dumped them in my suitcase. I also packed my nail polish, hair dryer, accessories, cream, powder, etc. Toothbrush - I'd pack it the day before leaving. Or but a new one. I had to go grocery shopping. Buy stuff like beer & food. No further explanations on that topic. Just so you get me right. I had loads of things to pack. I'd finish as much as possible today. Then I had to clean my room tomorrow. The mattress, pillows, books, stationery, music, movies, etc. It was sad but happy as well. We were all meeting on Sunday. Because Faye had to leave in Monday. Her term started early. Ted was going to London on the same dat as Faye. So we had to meet before they could leave. Pauline left as the same time as me.

Charlotte was going to NYADA. Cool. Everyone was happy. I had to buy gifts for everyone. We had one last meeting before everyone left. So the least we could do was buy each other's presents. I was supposed to feel a sense of loss, right? That so many people are going away from me. I wasn't feeling anything. Nothing at all.