More Questions

So Dearies, thanks a ton for the overwhelming response. It pleases me to see that this story has garnered quite a fan follow! Hence, I am updating a quickly typed out update! A lot more was to be added but didn't want to wait, so here it is to keep the intrigue going!

Part 12

The professor was going on and on about ancient obsolete languages and their importance in History and Archeology for the past one hour. Normally, Naina wouldn't have lost focus even for a minute as it was the most fascinating topic of Archeology. Mastering ancient languages as many as you can could gain you access to the most ancient and archaic inscriptions that would unlock the mysterious doors to the secrets of the past. She was a natural with languages and while she had trained and acquired her other skills, language was something she was gifted it. She could go through a minimum crash course and master any language. A few languages like English, Hindi, Marathi, and French were taught in school, but it didn't quench her thirst to learn more. So whenever she got a chance and whatever books she could lay her hands on, she self-taught other interesting Indian and foreign languages. No one except Preeti knew that her dear sister was fluent in ten Indian languages and five foreign languages, including English, and she liked to keep it that way to stay under the radar as per Chachiji's instructions and to not add to the tag of already a wierdo. During the toughest times, Preeti would sneak in a few translation jobs remotely from her contacts and clients at the parlor, and the sisters would make a few extra bucks to support the household and her studies under the pretext of advance salaries for both.

But it was a different ball game when it came to ancient languages. She learnt some in the graduate course shen she majored in History and Ancient Languages that those did not usually have a set of rules. Most ancient languages depicted only feelings and visuals primarily in terms of poetry or riddles. Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs and Koine were a couple of examples that she had laboured day and night to master.

But today, although she tried hard to focus on the ongoings in the class, her mind kept wavering back to him, whoever he was and if he was real. They had no contact since the past few days, all the while she kept cajoling herself that he was just a figment of her over enthusiastic imagination and she to forget about it. But she could swear on her life or rather her dearest sister that he was for real.

After her anger and annoyance had calmed down, for she didn't know where it sprang from coz currently again, she wasn't able to focus and it was not his fault, she realized that she berated him unnecessarily. He wasn't even there. But who was she kidding. He might not be infiltrating her brain, but he was for sure not away from her thoughts. She couldn't stop thinking about him and wanting to feel his presence.

Finally, giving up on her resolve, last night she had tried to focus and connect with him but nothing. Each time, she didn't know who established a connection, though it was precisely not more than four times, it had been easy. It was like both could just easily waltz into each other's brain as their wish. Since last night, she had tried a few more times, letting go off her ego, but nothing happened. It seemed like he had raised some mental blocks that she couldn't even get near to. She had to admit to herself that he might not even be realizing that she was attempting to touch his brain, but he might be too angry to let her get past, and so she felt bereft of him as if he was a zillion miles away.

Swati had been noticing her odd behaviour for a couple of days. Naina was a bit reserved and shy girl but even she was unusually quiet for her nature. Finally, worried about her friend, she poked her during the lunch hour, "Naina kya hua hai tujhe? Dou-teen din se dekh rahi hoon...na class mein theek se dhyaan laga rahi hai na theek se khaati peeti hai! Tu theek toh hai na? Teri tabiyat toh kharab nahi hai?" Saying so, Swati placed the back of her hand on Naina's forehead to check temperature, which seemed normal enough if the slight warmth could be discounted for the rising humidity in the atmosphere.