An Enigma

Part 15

They had talked and been with each other until the wee hours of the morning and Sameer hadn't slept a wink. Actually, he hadn't as much shut his eyes and relaxed in 3 days but he didn't feel exhausted. Rather his energy levels after last night were doubly boosted and though he might be running high on adrenaline rush, his inner abilities yet to be completely couthed, had also made him a stronger being. He would realize it in due course. His friends were still snoring away in the early morning, and so, he decided to freshen up and get ready to take on the day.

He had been thinking hard about Anamika's words since last night about balancing between family and self happiness but didn't quite understand how one could achieve it. He kept reminiscing about her words while brushing and shaving. So lost was he in trying to find the meaning that he accidentally nicked his chin with the razor blade and hissed in pain. He was looking for a small face towel and antiseptic or bandaid in the bathroom cabinet. He wet one side of the towel to dab on the cut and staunch the blood flow but when he looked in the mirror to dab the exact spot, he was bewildered beyond words. The cut was no longer there. He just kept staring at his own face in the mirror trying to recollect if he had actually cut himself or just a wrong move and he had assumed the nick.

After a moment, he was completely sure that he had seen the cut and a small drop of blood had also oozed out. He checked and rechecked by touching his chin and gazing at it more closely by leaning over the sink and closer into the face mirror, but there was no sign of injury. He had no clue what happened but was sure something unusual was definitely going on in his body.

He decided to test himself. So, he picked up the razor and with slightly trembling hands brought it closer to his cheek. He wasn't sure why he was doing this and what he wanted to actually know about himself, but something prompted him and in a second, he made a gash with the blade in his cheek and hissed loudly in pain. The cut was now very visible and the blood was oozing out, but he didn't stop or touch it in anyway. Rather, kept his eyes glued to the wound in the mirror. A couple of seconds later, the bloody flow stopped and the wound started to heal and after another second disappeared as if it was never there. The only proof was the minute drop of blood that had oozed out of the wound before healing and slided lower on the cheek.

He was astounded. No words no thoughts formed. He was blank. He didn't understand what just happened. In a trance, he picked up the scissor in his right hand and brought his left palm forward. He had no idea what he was trying to achieve or understand, but just in his own daze, he slashed the radial artery in the inside of the left wrist. The blood dripped in the sink, while he stared at the wound. In a couple of seconds, the wound started closing off and in the next few seconds the mark of injury had disappeared completely.

He kept gazing at it and then at his reflection in the mirror. He had no clue what had just happened. He was totally astounded coz this was definitely not normal. He blinked after a long moment and recollected his childhood memories when he had taken some nasty falls while playing or learning to ride the bicycle. Several times he had bruises and once he had badly scraped his knee when the boys had gotten in a brawl in class 8.

Some boys were mocking Pandit for his curly hair like the girls and had almost effeminated him when Sameer had intervened to save his friend's honor. During the fight, the rivals had overpowered and grounded him on his stomach and piled on top him. His knee had scraped badly in the gravel in the school compound, for which his principal had scolded him and he had also earned a earful from his Nanu, who was more worried about his deep wound which had taken almost 2-3 weeks to heal and generate new skin & another couple of years for the scar to almost disappear. A light discolouration was still visible upon a close look, commemorating his adventure.