Anamika aur Anjaana

Part 14

It was way past midnight and the boys were fast asleep, one on couch and the other sprawled on Sameer's bed after pondering over several potential solutions to rid of Sunaina's problem.

Sameer decided that the most obvious ones were to talk to her dad and try to convince him for continued business relation based on his past record with Nanaji and keep personal desires out of it. But given that Sunaina was his only child, he might be willing to forgo all other relationships to fulfill her demands. So, the only other option was to give in and trade his life and happiness to save his family name and business. He was in a dilemma. He had gone through all the personal and business financial assets but there wasn't enough to cover everything from salaries and new machines to the requirements of the new order. The last option was to sell out everything but he didn't see it as an option coz that meant giving away his Nanu's legacy. He wasn't prepared to do that and how would he show face when Nanu returned. He sighed in disappointment. He had not even begun to look for Nanu, and wasn't even sure where to began.

He closed his eyes and breathed deeply and in a moment, they snapped open. Something unexpected happened that hadn't happened in days now. He inhaled the familiar lavender scent, which wasn't present around him and only she was the source. A dull burn started on his chest as usual and he gave in. He just wanted to feel her once, only she had unknowingly calmed him everytime he was restless and his mind was haywire tackling different emotions simultaneously.

He surrendered and let his brain take over, simply shutting his eyes and reveling in that very sweet fragrance. There she was, popped in his brain instantly. They both smiled at the exact moment they felt each other. Both just savoured the moment experienced after so many days and so spoke nothing. They had finally found solace in the mere presence of each other in their respective heads.

Preeti was fast asleep and Chachi was working night shift and so wouldn't be home until the wee hours of the morning. So Naina was free to indulge in her soulful connection standing by the open kitchen window and letting the light drizzle spray of her face due to the direction of the wind. Coincidentally, even Ahmedabad was experiencing a light rain and Sameer enjoyed the wet feel on his cheeks from the stray drops that the breeze blew on him.

"Uss din ke liye..." they both projected the same thought at the same time and almost laughed at it. Finally, Sameer spoke first, "uss din ke liye sorry...mujhe tumse ladna nahi chahiye tha".

But Naina knew that she was at fault more than him. Afterall, she was the one who started the rigamarole on that day. "Nahi...tum sorry mat bolo...shuru toh maine kiya tha...tumhare bare mein sochte sochte pataa nahi kab tumhare dimaag ke saath connection jud gaya aur mujhe pataa bhi nahi chala. Khud pe koi control nahi tha toh tum par hi chilla di ki tum padhayi ke waqt disturb kar rahe the. So, I am sorry", she projected her apology loud and clear.

"Its ok", he was quick to ward it off as he didn't like her apologising for anything to anyone, not even him.

They became silent for a few moments. To break the awkward silence and start a conversation, Sameer asked, "toh tum padhti ho?"

"Haan", she answered in monosyllable as usual when asked a yes/no question.

He rolled his eyes but quickly curbed down his irritation but not before she caught on that he wanted to know more.

"Ahb...mujhe na zyaada baat karna nahi aata...main sirf apni Chachi ya behen se hi baat kar paati hoon. Ajnabiyon se baat karne ki aadat nahi hai", she explained herself.

Sameer felt guilty for making her feel awkward. So he tried to make amends, "Par hum ajanabi thode hi hai. Ek dusre ke dimaag mein aaram se reh paate hai aur ek dusre se aise baat karte hai jaise ki samne baithe ho. Tumhi ne toh kaha tha".