CHAPTER THREE

☘

Tobias was furious.

"You must be out of your damn mind, Noah! You can't just allow a stranger onto my land."

"I had to make a decision, my friend."

Tobias' nostrils flared with anger, unable to believe Noah's words.

They stood in the centre of the palace's massive library, the sheikh of Dasadin and his right hand man.

Thousands of books filled the rich mahogany shelves that were built into the towering walls. The walls met a high cream-colored cathedral ceiling, a massive crystal-less chandelier hanging from it.

The scent of dust and old pages filled the windowless room.

Tobias' tawny eyes narrowed with confusion. "That was a poorly thought out decision, Noah. I thought you knew what dangers an outsider could bring."

"You know I do. But both of us know she'll be safe in Dasadin. Do you have any idea what could happen to her if the wrong people got their hands on her?" Noah argued.

"Of course I'm aware, but I don't give a damn."

"You haven't even met her yet."

Tobias raised a dark brow. "What difference would it make?"

"She doesn't seem like a threat, Tobias. You should see for yourself."

"I don't care if she's a saint among saints. The plan was to have this god forsaken interview outside of Dasadin. I thought I made that clear when I left the responsibility of the woman in your hands."

"Anywhere away from your home is suicide, Tobias. Quite alright you don't care about what happens to her, but I don't think you'd want anything to happen to Jamal."

Tobias paused his pacing and turned to Noah, the heels of his boots screeching loudly against the shimmery marble floor.

"What are you implying?" Tobias' low and deep voice dropped dangerously.

Noah raised his hands in front of him. "Woah there, big fella. I'm only mentioning what would be at risk if Ms. Pierce were to be harmed. As you said, the only reason you're agreeing to this interview is because you want to know how much they know about Jamal. Believe it or not, Ms. Pierce is the only way. So her misfortune won't do any of us any good."

Tobias roughly raked long fingers through his close-cropped jet-black hair, a mental debate evident in his eyes.

He suddenly looked defeated. "Where is this journalist?"

"She's resting in one of the guest houses. A couple of US troops are watching over her—wait," Noah said soothingly when he saw Tobias' eyes flash again, "She needs to feel safe if we're going to do this, Tobias. The troops won't come anywhere near the family."

"They'd better not." Tobias sighed in resignation. "Listen, I have to get back to the Main Circle. I was barely able to get out, so I might be back in four to five hours—maybe more."

"Five hours? I already assured Ms. Pierce that as soon as she is rested, the interview will begin." Noah raised his wrist, the silver wrist watch around it gleaming. "That was seven hours ago, I'm pretty sure she's no longer in dreamland."

Tobias was already making his way to the door. "Well, let's just hope her highness doesn't awaken, or damned be our poor unfortunate souls."

"Tobias, you can't just . . . "

The sheikh of Dasadin ignored the calls of his right hand man, and continued down the long and wide hallway. He had much more urgent things to attend to.