CHAPTER TWELVE

If there was one thing Tobias hated more than a crying woman, it was a stubborn one.

But then again, he'd never come across a stubborn woman before. Dasadinian women had always been taught to be submissive. Until now.

He couldn't figure out why he felt both irritated and aroused by the foreigner's defiance. Damn the woman.

After he'd carried her out of the room—which of course she hadn't taken lightly—he took her to one of the guest rooms in the palace, far away from his own private quarters.

Now she was staring him down in the small but posh guest bedroom with that green gaze of hers.

"I had the impression that you're not keen about having me around you or your family. You don't expect me to believe you'd want me staying in your home, do you?"

Tobias couldn't believe the woman. The one time he practices his generosity towards her—although she had a phone call from a persuasive Noah to thank for that—she throws it right back in his face.

He checked his temper. "The Palace is the most heavily guarded place in the whole of Dasadin, you'll be safe here."

She scoffed loudly. "I'd consider Mars to be safe as long as its furthest from you. I want to go home."

At that exact moment he realized he'd mistaken her defiance for something else. He saw right through her heated eyes and her stiff posture. She really thought the devil of him. Her disguised fear was so palpable that he almost wanted to assure her.

Instead, he snapped. "Don't be a fool, foreigner. The moment you leave the grounds of Dasadin, you're dead. Unless you think that missile was set loose by accident, I'd advise you to stay here and keep your little pathetic life from perishing."

He didn't waste a second to watch her reaction to his words, but he did note her deafening silence as he stomped out the room and slammed the door shut.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes for several seconds, then continued down the hallway.

Evangeline did the same on the other side of the door, only she took longer to open her eyes, willing the anger and impenetrable fear to vanish.

At twenty-four years of age, she wanted her mother, desperately. But wallowing in self pity wasn't doing anyone any good.

As much as she didn't want to admit it, that horrible man was right. Leaving Dasadin wasn't a good idea. But then again, being anywhere near the sheikh of Dasadin wasn't a good idea either.

Oh God, she didn't know what to do. The only choice she had was to comply and try to wait it out until she was sure her little pathetic life wouldn't perish. Wretched man.

Set on not shedding a single tear over her dilemma, she studied her surroundings.

The compact room was well-appointed, beautifully made for a guest. Mahogany dressers and closets. Hardwood flooring. High coffered ceiling. And... oh that extremely comfortable-looking bed.

A nap on those plush covers would have been great if her stomach hadn't groaned out its frustration.

As though her mind were being read, a knock sounded at the door. She answered it and in walked a young man with dark curly hair. He had a tray carrying whatever was smelling extravagant.

"Food for pretty lady." Deep adorable dimples formed in his cheeks as he granted her a huge smile. He looked even younger then.

"I appreciate it." She really did.